Battery Replacement

GMaurer

Member II
My batteries (2 each) were relatively new when I purchased my E28 four years ago.
When the boat isn't under sail, I have them on a 110v charger.
The batteries are the "dual purpose" style from West Marine.

What is the expected battery life under these conditions?
If I replace them, should I consider a dedicated house and a dedicated starter battery (controlled by the battery switch) in lieu of the dual purpose?
Thanks,
Greg
1988 E28

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It's a good idea to have a reserve startying battery. I found a place for one and now use the two Group 24's in parallel as the house battery. But even if you don't have room, I see no reason to get dual purpose batteries. Deep cycle batteries, having thicker plates, will last longer and should start your engine easily.

valentor

Member II
Greg;

The life of your batteries will be determinied by MANY variables including temperature change, the rate you charge and discharge, size and quality of your wires, the type of charger you use, the slignment of the planets :)

What you can do to maximize life is never draw them down below 50% of their rated capacity, charge them with a multi-stage charger, and keep them topped-off as often as possible, but don't leave them hooked up to a non-intelligent charger for exptended periods.

One argument for using a different type of battery for starting might be weight. Starting batteries are typically much lighter than deep-cycle batteries. These however have different charge properties, so your charger/alternator would have to be configured to accommodate this difference. It is certainly easiest to have identical batteries for house and starting.

Regards;

Steve

Art Mullinax

Member III
Battery construction,

The consruction of the starting battery and deep cycle is different. The starting battery is designed with thinner plates for a high current - short duration drain (starting an engine). The deep cycle battery has thicker plates and is designed for a low current - long duration drain ( running lights). The high drain - short duration cycle will eventually cause plate damage to the deep cycle battery. I think (and have done it) they can be interchanged without any significant battery damage, BUT, if you talk to a battery guy, he will give you this song and dance speech.

Art M,
E29/#53

Last edited: