Battery move

Scottc

I have a 1970 35 MKII. Currently the batteries were moved to the center of the boat over the keel where the dinette would be. I want to get that space back. I installed a porta potti with a 5 gallon holding tank enclosed. I then removed the holding tank under the dinette seating on port side at the bulk head. I plan on putting my batteries there. I can fit 3 house batteries form the size I currently have. Now there are 4 and they are wired with two in series and the whole thing in parrallel. I want to just have the 3 in parrallel. I don't understand why they would have been wired the previous way. Any ideas? Also any ideas on what I am doing as good or bad. I love my boat and am trying to get it back to being pretty again. It has been a serious ocean racer with the previous owner and he did a great job setting the boat up mechanically.

Scott

ctruax

Batteries move

My Yanmar 2qm20H is mounted aft and four batteries under the dinette seat.
Three switches at the Nav station control 24v solar charging and two 12v cabin/engine banks.
I like having the the batteries forward to compensate CenterOfGravity forward to make up for Engine aft.
Some Ericsons installed lead in the bow to achieve balance.

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
I have a 1970 35 MKII. Currently the batteries were moved to the center of the boat over the keel where the dinette would be. I want to get that space back. I installed a porta potti with a 5 gallon holding tank enclosed. I then removed the holding tank under the dinette seating on port side at the bulk head. I plan on putting my batteries there. I can fit 3 house batteries form the size I currently have. Now there are 4 and they are wired with two in series and the whole thing in parrallel. I want to just have the 3 in parrallel. I don't understand why they would have been wired the previous way. Any ideas? Also any ideas on what I am doing as good or bad. I love my boat and am trying to get it back to being pretty again. It has been a serious ocean racer with the previous owner and he did a great job setting the boat up mechanically.

Scott

The batteries that you have are probably 6 volt. Two in series to give you the 12 volts and then those two banks in parallel to give you twice the amperage. The only way you can use 3 batteries and still keep your 12 volts is to buy three 12 v batts and connect them in parallel.
Cheers.

ctruax

6v 12v

I would agree for what you described: two 6v in series paralleled with 1 or more 12v to increase amp-hrs.
The voltage of batteries is typically twice the number of cell-fill-caps if you cant read and markings.
Also you could meter the voltages.