Batteries

Jack W. Colbert

Would like some information/suggestions regarding use of an inverter (which is used to provide AC power to CD player, etc. at anchor -- no shore power, engine/generator not running). Have been told not to drain the batteries too low -- that once batteries are drained to a certain level they cannot be effectively recharged. How low can I safely go?; how do I know when I'm at or near that level?

(Have installed a new trickle-charger and the automatic bilge pump -- the new one turns on by a float mechanism rather than periodic start-ups).

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Jack,

there is lots of info available on battery care and maintenance. One book that I particularly like is "Living with 12 Volts", by.....I can't remember the author's name at present. General rule of thumb is to never allow your batteries to discharge to less than 50% of their capacity. You can measure this through a variety of amp-hour calculating gauges (e.g. Link 10). By measuring the battery voltage you can perform similar calculations, but, I don't have the specific values here - the book is at home. Good deep cycle batteries will let you discharge them to this level hundreds of times and still return to close to their rated capacity if charged with a good quality 3-stage charging system powered from either AC shorepower or engine alternator/regulator. It boils down to this (pun intended :) ) ...if you look after your batteries, they will look after you!

Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My favourite book on electrial systems is the one by Nigel Calder. Some heavy reading, but explains how to build such a system as you are thinking of very well.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

admirals barge

Member III
batery monitor

gareth

there are a lot of battery monitors on the market. they are as simple as a volt meter that you can connect to the battery switch, to electronic monitors that will tell you how many amp hours you have left in the batteries so you can tell when its time to recharge . if you have any friends that dabble in building electronic projects there are a few that can be built. you can find them by searching the large number of electronic project sites. in the past i have built 2 different ones. 1 flashes at a specific voltage. the other had 4 leds that would show you the state of the batteries.

hope this helps

take care
greg
ps. have you had a chance to get the window gasket for me.

greg ocfemia
1800 w. gramercy ave # 50
anaheim,ca 92801