batteries redux...one last time...maybe

Howard Keiper

I ran across this website whilst doing some idle browsing and it blew me away. This is a very well written missive from the 'other side'...those whose interest is in land yachting. The Ericson website won't let me upload just the text, so here's the address. Try it, I think you'll be impressed.
www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

howard keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

sleather

Sustaining Member
Battery 101

Howard, Thanks, good timing, I'm contemplating an "electic inboard" so ANY knowledge beyond "jumper cables" is appreciated. A yacht's a yacht!
Loading up the printer!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Big 12 volt article - here it is

Indeed it is a longish yet interesting article. Being sourced from the web, it is written in html. So, while at that page, I clicked on "print" and then instead of printing it selected the Make PDF button in my print dialog box.

Being a "graphic", a PDF can be U/L to this site like a picture. (if anyone is interested and has not yet done this.)

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

Attachments

• The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 63

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Being sourced from the web... Beware!

This article is full of factual errors, half truths, and opinions that are not based on engineering knowledge. The author starts off with a statement saying he doesn't understand why different sources provide inconsistent information and that he has selected what he likes. :rolleyes: That says it all.

I strongly advise sticking with recognized sources.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Batteries and Charging

Just did a complete battery changover......I had the good fortune to attend a talk by Nigel Calder last year that got me started researching.....I see that someone has posted a page from the West Marine Catalog....excellent reading, along with Nigel Calder, and Don Casey....I think that they would be a better source than the verbose article......which IMHO is very much someones opinion with to many points being vague.....If anyone is interested I would be happy to send Pics and description of what I did......send me and email address or phone number

Mort Fligelman
E35-3 1987
Acapella

Howard Keiper

Lest anyone think I endorse the article(s) I brought up in this post, I emphatically do NOT. I agree completely with Tom and Mort. Now, having said that, I would direct your attention to this month's issue of Good Old Boat, and an article by Bernard Heise, regarding...what else...batteries. The point is, there are many sources of information some good, some bad, some irrelevant. What I liked about the article I brought up was the succinct presentation regarding the sizes, physical and electrical, the proposed use of house and start batteries, etc., etc, information one can dig out of Calder and others, but not all laid out nice and flat. I happen to like Heise's article too, he has a nice approach to powering his boat...but don't agree with a lot of it either, but it is a very good, informative read.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

sleather

Sustaining Member
Juice Strainer!

Thanks to All for the "clarifications"! The "juice" side of sailing has always left me a tad bit bewildered:confused: The "power" side of my conversion will be "stand-alone" diagrams by provider(hopefully)

I did love that fellows "full page" disclaimer though!:D

Last edited: