Batten down the hatches...

Jewel

Member II
:esad:

The last forecast I heard on the radio is calling for even stronger gusts possible. It looks like I am leaving work early today to take the dodger and the main off the boat.

Dan & Julie
Jewel E28+
Bellingham, WA

Tonight
Rain...windy. Lows in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Southeast wind increasing to 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Saturday
Showers. Very windy. Highs near 50. South wind 35 to 45 mph with gusts to 60 mph.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Very windy. Lows in the 30s to lower 40s. Southwest wind 30 to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph easing to 10 to 20 mph by morning.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good idea

Hope the power doesn't go out and stay out for Sunday. :esad:

Might have to go to a non-smoky old bar and watch the Super Bowl.

Probably a good idea to go take a couple more wraps on the furler ... we're fairly protected in the mouth of the river (behind a two-story, 40' Hatteras with a hardtop over the raised cockpit).

hodo

Member III
How did everyone survive the wind over the weekend? No problems on Mischief Maker, but another boat on my dock wasn't quite so lucky. the dock is on his leeward side, and he only had one smallish fender at the beam, and it worked out and was laying comfortable on top of the dock. looks like mostly paint damage. I pushed him off and reset his fender. Harold

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We had over 40 knots in the marina in False Creek in Vancouver, BC. We live aboard and our boat was fine, but, we had 3 boats drag anchor through the Creek heading west until the CG caught 'em and tied 'em up. We were up at 0345 setting extra lines and fenders on neighbours boats that were beam on to the wind. One neighbour has a 63 ft. custom steel trawler that just tore the cleats right off the dock. We had to get 4 of us on the lines and the skipper operating the bow thruster just to get her back to the dock so we could set a spiderweb of lines to keep her secure. It was actually a lot of fun!:eek:

Jewel

Member II
:egrin:

Bellingham Cold Storage has a web cam with corresponding weather data. They recorded a 69 mph gust with lots more in the mid-60's. No damage for us other than getting a little damp while trying to tie our finger pier onto the main dock so it wouldn't break loose.http://www.bellcold.com/bhambaycam.html

Dan and Julie
Jewel E28+

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
No problems at Harbor Island Marina

We went down mid-afternoon Saturday and opened up the boat. My chart plotter can record several hours of data while it is turned on and we recorded a couple hours worth. Only saw 20-28 knots. While it was recording we ran our new heater. After a while we went down the dock and had a drink with one of the liveaboards.

We were lucky. There weren't any problems, as far as we could tell.