Barlow 20 winch assembly

jcool

The other day, I brought home my Barlow 20 winches to be cleaned up. All of the parts cleaned up very well in spite of layers of caked grease. Now, I am ready to put everything back together. The bottom assembly went inside the housing without a problem. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get the paws of the top assembly to retract. The paws need to retract in order for everything to slide together. My best idea was to tie the paws down with fishing line and slide everything together. At this point, I tried to slip the fishing line out, but it would break instead. I am stumped and I am looking for suggestions.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I re-greased mine last month and there is a trick.
Can't quite remember exactly but I think I remember using the needle bearing cage (slide it up) to retain the upper pawls. Then the drop the drum over and then the top cap and fasten.

jcool

I re-greased mine last month and there is a trick.
Can't quite remember exactly but I think I remember using the needle bearing cage (slide it up) to retain the upper pawls. Then the drop the drum over and then the top cap and fasten.

That's the trick. Everything goes together, if you assemble in this order. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Guessing from your location, you must sail on Milford lake (in season that is). Looks really nice! And, on Google maps, there appears to be some wind on the water there.

jcool

Guessing from your location, you must sail on Milford lake (in season that is). Looks really nice! And, on Google maps, there appears to be some wind on the water there.[/QUOTE

You are right, we sail on Milford Lake. Most of the time there is wind on the water, sometimes there is a lot of wind. You can be too much of a fair weather sailor or you will never get out.