Bare metal mast?

paul culver

Member III
The paint on my aluminum mast is shot and I'm considering an option of soda blasting and leaving the metal unpainted. From everything I've read so far an aluminum oxide coating will form which is actually protective to the metal but not very visually appealing. What I haven't been able to figure out is just how unappealing this really is. Will it look like a traffic light pole, which doesn't look that bad to me? If anyone on the site has experience with a bare mast I'd sure appreciate your feedback.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Bare aluminum Is very muck like 80 grit sandpaper I am replacing my bare mast with a painted one. Bare is still functional and as strong as ever but will cut right through a rope or skin! Anodizing an old aluminum piece will not be asteticaly pleasing as it shows and magnifies every blemish. So it is paint or bare. The above article makes some good points, but there is a down side to everything and this time I am choosing the higher care over the sandpaper coating! Edd

Emerald

I'm wondering how much of the oxidation on aluminum is tied to region. Emerald is the first boat we've ever had in the family (including several Tartan 34's, my prior E27 and a couple other creatures) that had a painted mast. I never thought twice about the bare aluminum, and it always looked right to me. Of course, here on the Chesapeake we're not salty like being on the ocean, so it might be a kinder environment.