Back to the Isthmus on Friday 9-25-2009

Sven

Seglare
And again next Friday

It is becoming habit forming !

Since we are on a 9-80 workweek we get a 3-day weekend every other week and we are taking advantage of it :)

After the pirates it should be pretty nice and calm again.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
It was very nice. No wind on the way over, until we got to about ship rock :esad: so we motored again.

The wind was from the NW and for the first time ever we got help from the harbor patrol, and we needed it. The moorings are still bow in but that was a mistake ... by the time we had the bow secured (done perfectly by Nancy) the wind was already catching us and swinging the stern around before we could run the sandline back. I was totally embarrassed until a bit later when I realized that all single screw vessels had to get help to pull the stern up into the wind.

Saturday cleared up, sun and some great time swimming/snorkeling in our 1/2-mil suits.

On the way back we got some wind 4 NM out and got to sail all the way back :egrin:

Wonderful.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Sven, Glad to hear you and Nancy have been making the most out of the season. I saw you come in yesterday around 2pm.

Speaking of getting help from the Harbor Patrol at the Isthmus, when I was at Cat Harbor for the better part of a week last August I got pretty acquainted with Ralph who works for the Harbor Patrol back there. I talked to him about a time on one of my first trips to the Island when I was assigned a mooring over by the camp grounds at Two Harbors and they wanted me bow out. The wind was blowing in through the valley of the Isthmus on my stern there and I had a dickens of a time getting hooked up. Scraped up the boot stripe at the bow pretty good with the mooring can. Ralph said never be afraid to ask them about getting hooked up in that situation or any time you need help. He said that's what they get paid for. This is also good advice for any first timers or single handlers. After 28 trips to the Island now I have seen just about everything that can happen over there. Including seeing boats sink, flip over, fouled props and folks fall overboard. Ralph is a great Guy as most of the Harbor Patrol Guys and Gals are over there. When you think about it, it really is a great service they provide.

Wish I could say when I will be back to the Island but I'm just spinning too many plates at the moment. I have been doing day sails every Saturday for the last 5 weeks now though.

Jeff:egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

We looked for you but didn't see you as we were coming back in.

We are indeed getting some miles under the keel even if it is only the short excursion every other weekend. This time we even caught some fish: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021887&id=1326215219&l=22df2d873a but next time we'll try to catch fish that are more edible :)

This coming weekend we'll meet up with Todd the rigger to see about finally getting that taken care of. Chico the "handy-man" was such a disaster that we're looking forward to someone competent even if our wallets already hurt just thinking about it.

So many projects, so little time and money :rolleyes_d:

-Sven