Auto Bildge Pump Brand Recommendations 1976 E 29

Cutbait61

Member II
' 76 E 29 needs a bildge pump upgrade..from what I've researched 1k to 1.5k gph would be the required size..12 volts ..current pump info not legible..float switch intermittent operation..(sometimes it works when it should..sometimes it don't) suggested brands???
I have looked at the Rule-Mate 1500 for starters..any opinions/advice / suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whatever fits is one way to look at it.

And then there's the other way to look at it, which is a thousand choices:

Cutbait61

Member II
Whatever fits is one way to look at it.

And then there's the other way to look at it, which is a thousand choices:

Thank you for your input sir..as you probably know the E 29 has an encapsulated keel with the sump aft..the current configuration takes up 90
% of the sump box so I'm thinking a more compact /all inclusive design would be the way to go...I don't forsee the issues you had in your case ..
Catastrophic failures aside..it is comforting to see the mast still visible when I arrive at the marina...and the cabin sole dry.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I have looked at the Rule-Mate 1500 for starters..any opinions/advice / suggestions are greatly appreciated.
It partly depends on the size of the bilge hose. A 3/4" hose (common in Ericsons) will support a pump up to about 800gph. The 1000-1500 pumps typically use 1-1/8" hose or greater.

Personal matter, but I don't like the built-in switch models. If either the pump or the switch fails, you end up replacing both. You also lose the ability to adjust the height of the float switch. The pump and switch don't have to be placed in the same compartments as long as the bilge compartments are connected.

Lots of posts here about bilge pumps--try the search function.

Cutbait61

Member II
It partly depends on the size of the bilge hose. A 3/4" hose (common in Ericsons) will support a pump up to about 800gph. The 1000-1500 pumps typically use 1-1/8" hose or greater.

Personal matter, but I don't like the built-in switch models. If either the pump or the switch fails, you end up replacing both. You also lose the ability to adjust the height of the float switch. The pump and switch don't have to be placed in the same compartments as long as the bilge compartments are connected.

Lots of posts here about bilge pumps--try the search function.
Thanks for your reply...E29 drains to the one sump box in the bottom aft keel..so it's the only legitimate location. Point taken in regards to separate pump and switch..that's the current configuration..and I know the switch is faulty..I'd have to pull the pump out to get to the switch as it is now...considering the existing circumstances in regards to Accessing the pump and switch going back with a combined pump/switch would be the easiest solution ...bottom line is its old and needs to be replaced..thanks for your opinion.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for your reply...E29 drains to the one sump box in the bottom aft keel..so it's the only legitimate location. Point taken in regards to separate pump and switch..that's the current configuration..and I know the switch is faulty..I'd have to pull the pump out to get to the switch as it is now...considering the existing circumstances in regards to Accessing the pump and switch going back with a combined pump/switch would be the easiest solution ...bottom line is its old and needs to be replaced..thanks for your opinion.
On my E27 with a similar sump arrangement I attached the pump and switch to a vertical piece or rod of G10 about an inch wide that could easily be lifted out of the sump and more importantly would hold everything in position at the bottom of the sump when installed. I screwed the top of the rod to the forward part of the sump (where the lead is) with shallow wood screws. If doing it again on that model I would locate a diaphragm pump above the sump in an easy to access location along with a remote Water Witch switch and intake hose/strum box attached to the rod and held in place in the sump.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If doing it again on that model I would locate a diaphragm pump above the sump in an easy to access location along with a remote Water Witch switch and intake hose/strum box attached to the rod and held in place in the sump.
That would echo my suggestion also.

Last edited:

Cutbait61

Member II
On my E27 with a similar sump arrangement I attached the pump and switch to a vertical piece or rod of G10 about an inch wide that could easily be lifted out of the sump and more importantly would hold everything in position at the bottom of the sump when installed. I screwed the top of the rod to the forward part of the sump (where the lead is) with shallow wood screws. If doing it again on that model I would locate a diaphragm pump above the sump in an easy to access location along with a remote Water Witch switch and intake hose/strum box attached to the rod and held in place in the sump.

Attachments

• 20230620_191846.jpg
    20230620_191846.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230620_191838.jpg
    20230620_191838.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230620_191824.jpg
    20230620_191824.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 9

Cutbait61

Member II
I stated earlier that I could not tell what brand is currently installed...I can barely make out 2000 on the side in the similar lettering as the Rule brand..Christian Williams I did read the reviews on West Marine and Amazon and they weren't convincing enough to make the choice..so..I turned to the Ericson Wise Men for sound council...thanks for yalls comments and help..I really appreciate it..

Cutbait61

Member II
In the last pic I see where the engine pan has been cut to allow the oil to drain into the sump..thats the kind of surprises I find all the time on this boat...oh well it's mine now right.???

Cutbait61

Member II
Ok so I did some research and I see your method ...sturm box located in bottom of sump..Water Witch mounted in sump a few inches above to detect water level..pump mounted above sump in dry accessible location...switch and strum configured to be easily retractable from the sump for service..add auto /manual switch .

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Here's a 6 page, 100+ post discussion on bilges and pumps. Lots of opinions. Most of them are correct. All depends on your preferences..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ok so I did some research and I see your method ...sturm box located in bottom of sump..Water Witch mounted in sump a few inches above to detect water level..pump mounted above sump in dry accessible location...switch and strum configured to be easily retractable from the sump for service..add auto /manual switch .
"Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!"
:D

Cutbait61

Member II
Here's a 6 page, 100+ post discussion on bilges and pumps. Lots of opinions. Most of them are correct. All depends on your preferences..

Thanks again...alot of information to digest there...apologies if I annoyed you with a question / subject that has been discussed to no end..lol...

Cutbait61

Member II

Thanks again...alot of information to digest there...apologies if I annoyed you with a question / subject that has been discussed to no end..lol..
"Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!"
:D
Lol..yay for me..I'm gettin there

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I tried with 2 pumps of the built in switch variety and both times the float switch failed within one year. Back to the rule separate pump and external float switch.
Amen to that. Of all the negative reviews I've read about bilge pumps, seems to be the built-in float switch models that dominate the discussion. I'll be keeping a separate pump and switch for as long as they're available.