Atomic 4 reverse issue

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I bought an E27 Friday and ran it in pretty rough conditions about 10 miles up to my marina- motoring. When I got there it wouldn't go into reverse. The shifter lever hits the wheel. I was able to put it into reverse a few hours before when the lever was pulled back to about an inch from the wheel.

What went out of adjustment?
Should I follow the reverse adjustment in the manual?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's my guess:

Try moving the shifter directly on the transmission (bypassing the cable). Does the transmission shift normally?

If so, perhaps the jacket of the Teleflex or Morse shift cable is loose at the cockpit lever end. The important set screw often goes missing.

If you have wheel steering this probably means taking the compass off the binnacle and pulling out the shift and throttle cables to examine them.

Edson or Yacht Specialties hardware?

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I agree that it is likely to be an issue with the cable jacket. I had something like that happen to me once, just as I was coming in to dock, a little "hot" :0 (too much unsecured gear bouncing around in the sail locker.)

But just to state the obvious, in case you are new to the Atomic 4, it does not "go in" to reverse in the way that it "goes in" to forward. Pushing the lever backwards cinches down a band with a couple of brake-shoe-like pads against the rotating mechanism. The tendency of the gear to reverse the prop shaft is proportional to the force applied continuously to the lever and inversely proportional to the speed that the motor is turning. The faster it's running, harder you have to push. Just like the brakes on your car - except you have to hold down the brake and apply the gas at the same time.

So if it is misadjusted, the shoes might contact lightly at low speed (when you leave the dock), but slip at higher speed (when you try to stop).

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thanks. I disconnected the cable and moved the lever on the transmission all the way back. . No joy. I'm asking over on the Moyer forum. Geeze these guys are good with this A4. I think I'll get it resolved. Thank heavens it's not forward. I still can go sailing, which we did yesterday and just come in dead slow. No problem. But, boy does she sail nicely! She just wants to go! Very happy.

Solarken

Member II
I agree that it is likely to be an issue with the cable jacket. I had something like that happen to me once, just as I was coming in to dock, a little "hot" :0 (too much unsecured gear bouncing around in the sail locker.)

But just to state the obvious, in case you are new to the Atomic 4, it does not "go in" to reverse in the way that it "goes in" to forward. Pushing the lever backwards cinches down a band with a couple of brake-shoe-like pads against the rotating mechanism. The tendency of the gear to reverse the prop shaft is proportional to the force applied continuously to the lever and inversely proportional to the speed that the motor is turning. The faster it's running, harder you have to push. Just like the brakes on your car - except you have to hold down the brake and apply the gas at the same time.

So if it is misadjusted, the shoes might contact lightly at low speed (when you leave the dock), but slip at higher speed (when you try to stop).

Question if I may, to understand this better.

You are saying that A4 trans goes into grear for forward but only uses a band clutch to get reverse prop?
My 32 has been killing the engine at low idle when I try to go into reverse. Not good as one can imagine. I have to come into the slip dead slow. Ok with no wind.

Thank you you for your input

Captain Bligh

Atomic4 reverse issue

Hi, my first post here so hello to all. Sharon and I sail our 1973 E29 on Lake Ontario. Just wanted to share that I recall seeing a very informative video on the Moyer Marine site a few years back. It demonstrates the workings of the clutch and if it is still posted there it is worth looking at. Downright cool how the clutch manages to make the prop shaft turn in reverse. Good luck with your problems and Happy Holidays to all! John

Captain Bligh

A4 Reverse Issue

I just now looked for the video. They are showing a brief intro only, and offering to send the rest of video for a fee of 12.50 USD if I recall correctly. Can't blame them for that. They have been very helpful in the past when called by phone.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
ahhh, the mystery of the internet

This was the original thread which was lost when the site got hacked in October. I started a new one and got it fixed with all y'alls help. The new thread with the answer is gone now. I love mysteries.