Atomic 4 Replacement

Wanda Ericson

WE HAVE AN ERICSON 29. THE ATOMIC 4 EITHER NEEDS TO BE REBUILT OR REPLACED. ANYONE, HAVE ANY ADVICE ON A REPLACEMENT DIESEL ENGINE? THE NEW ONES ARE PRETTY EXPENSIVE - DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY USED ONES?

Paul Wood

Dear Wanda,

I also have a E-29 (1976) and just recently pulled my old A4 and installed a new diesel engine, this month. I opted for a diesel for a number of reasons and a new one primarily for reliability.
I purchased a 13hp Beta Marine (Kubota) diesel
and had it professionally installed for under $10,000. I'm very happy with the engine and have only heard positive thing about them. Now, not only don't I worry about having my engine crap out on me, but I also don't worry about stray fuel vapors igniting.

Paul

S/V Bella di Mare

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Are you sure that your A4 is dead. This is a fairly bullet proof engine, there are many still in use. Last I heard rebuilt A4's were going for around $3k. Some parts are becoming more available than were due to demand.

Suggest you subscribe to Sailnets Atomic4 Email list.

:devil: "Better the devil you know"?

Paul Wood

A4 vs. new diesel

Well actualy, yes my A4 is dead AND gone. Sold it
for $735.00, picked up a brand spankin' new
Beta Marine for 4,800.00. So... now I got a new engine for roughly $4,065.00 a couple grand more than another flakey, heavy, 30 year old rebuilt gas engine. Ahhhh peace of mind. Nothing like it.

I already unsubscribed from the A4 mailing list months ago.:D