Atomic 4 - Is this a sign of seawater in my oil?

LeifThor

Member III
This last February, I blew my Atomic 4's head gasket, and had quarts of seawater shooting out my spark plug holes.

Long story short, instead of repowering thinking the engine was toast, I-
Replaced the head gasket
Replaced all the other gaskets
Added an electric timing system
Replaced all hoses
Replaced the carbonator
Replaced the the fuel/water separator
Changed the oil 5 times since replacing the gaskets
Cleaned and painted the engine

Now it looks great, and runs fine

But...

I noticed two things the other day that have me slightly concerned.

The last oil change the oil looked just a little like the milkshake when water is in the oil. Milky brown instead of black.

When the engine is shut down, a tiny bit of steam appears to come out of where the oil goes in.

To the last point, I should add the engine does have the crank case kit, recycling the oil so I don't get smoky oil out the oil fill cap, a problem I had earlier which the crank case kit fixed.

I'd imagine once the engine is off, a tiny amount of smoke might still emanate from there as the crank case kit isn't doing what it's supposed to do given the engine is off, but I just thought it odd.

So here's what I'm wondering.

Is there a breech of the engine where the cooling system is mixing with the internal oil in the engine?

Could the engine still run if so?

And if water is getting into the engine, wouldn't the engine not work? Wouldn't steam from boiling water work to break the seal of the engine?

Any thoughts anyone? I'm all ears. I didn't take pics of the oil, and the steam or smoke was so light, I don't think I could have taken a pic of it.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
This last February, I blew my Atomic 4's head gasket, and had quarts of seawater shooting out my spark plug holes.

Long story short, instead of repowering thinking the engine was toast, I-
Replaced the head gasket
Replaced all the other gaskets
Added an electric timing system
Replaced all hoses
Replaced the carbonator
Replaced the the fuel/water separator
Changed the oil 5 times since replacing the gaskets
Cleaned and painted the engine

Now it looks great, and runs fine

But...

I noticed two things the other day that have me slightly concerned.

The last oil change the oil looked just a little like the milkshake when water is in the oil. Milky brown instead of black.

When the engine is shut down, a tiny bit of steam appears to come out of where the oil goes in.

To the last point, I should add the engine does have the crank case kit, recycling the oil so I don't get smoky oil out the oil fill cap, a problem I had earlier which the crank case kit fixed.

I'd imagine once the engine is off, a tiny amount of smoke might still emanate from there as the crank case kit isn't doing what it's supposed to do given the engine is off, but I just thought it odd.

So here's what I'm wondering.

Is there a breech of the engine where the cooling system is mixing with the internal oil in the engine?

Could the engine still run if so?

And if water is getting into the engine, wouldn't the engine not work? Wouldn't steam from boiling water work to break the seal of the engine?

Any thoughts anyone? I'm all ears. I didn't take pics of the oil, and the steam or smoke was so light, I don't think I could have taken a pic of it.
Did you retorque the head after the first extended use?