atomic 4 in E-27

nathansackett

so i am restoring an old e-27, and originally thought about inboard diesel, until i saw the price. then i thought outboard on bracket. i did this, but i think it is terribly ugly and cumbersome (have to life bracket, 9.9 engine is close to 100lb, gas tank in cockpit)
i have heard mixed reviews of the old atomic 4. how much should i pay for a rebuilt one and install? my rudder shaft looks pretty corroded. is it too much damn effort? is the utility of the strength (hp) of it worth it? or should i give up and let the ugly outboard prevail?

thanks,
nathan

rssailor

Outboard

Well I know that the only thing I would trade my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboard for is a diesel sail drive. This would cost way to much. Therefore stick with the outboard. What kind is it and what kind of bracket do you have? Is there a dead atomic four already in the boat? Ryan Ericson 25+

nathansackett

glad to hear you like your 9.9. no, there is not an atomic 4 in the boat, i would have to purchase one. i guess i will stick with the outboard for a while.

nathan

timoteo

Member II
atomic 4

man , i have an atomic4 on my ericson 29,it was just rebuild when i bought her, i have her for a year now and never had any comlaint or problem as long as u keep her tight on maintenance and for shure oil..... without an oilfilter every 25 hours,,,,,,,an oilfilter cost 75 $ and very easy to install,
good luck with your desicion,
tim

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Most of the prices I have seen for rebuilt A4s are at least $2000, often pushing $3000. Don Moyer who seems the biggest name in the business charges $4000 plus shipping if you trade in an old engine. Of course non-rebuilt engines can be got for a few hundred, and many will run for years if given basic maintenance.... some will not, and the time, money and effort of installing and aligning is lost when a cheap engine suddenly loses its compression.
How you proceed I think must depend on how you use the boat; since most ericsons move well in light air it can be possible to get away without much investment in an engine for local sailing (during my engine woes there was a long period when I sailed straight in and out of my slip).
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I forgot to mention the shaft. The critical area of the shaft is where it makes the seal with the stuffing box, if that is not deeply gouged or pitted then a bit of cleaning might make it look a lot better and quite serviceable. That said, if the boat has been neglected, you could find that the shaft, stuffing box and cutlass bearing would need replacing, if you do the work yourself the cost would not be too high compared to the engine, but since it is a lot of work, paying a yard would go through the roof.
I managed to install my A4 without cost, with the help of a group of marines to pick it up onto the boat, a couple of comealongs, some 2x4s and rope; aligning would be worth paying for and run a couple of hundred.
G

Fencer21

Member II
I have a 1974 E27 and it has an A4, and I've never had any problems with it (so far). As long as you keep the oil in it changed when you need to, spark plugs and what-not on a regular basis. I have heard folks from outside the circle say it is a excellent motor.

As to whether you should get one or not depends largely on what you want the engine for. If you're going to do a lot of motoring, then you may want to spring for a diesel or something more powerful. I primarily use the engine for what everybody else uses theirs for, and that's to get in-and-out of the marina.

As for the money, go ahead and get a rebuilt one, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but if you are, you can always sell it.

rehammond

I just posted a For Sale notice for an A4 that is a long sad story. Feel free to read it. Regarding this thread, I chose to replace my aborted attempt at installing a used A4 with a new Mercury Bigfoot Sailpower 4-stroke 9.9hp outboard. I've had experience with both motors and can offer these observations:
1) the A4 and E27 are designed for each other and are a perfect match of power, economy, and utility - all good in a sailing vessel.
2) the E27 design has an unfortunate tendency to uncomfortable prop walk with any inboard, except possibly the diesel/saildrive combo mentioned earlier, that is impossible to remove given the specific design engineering of the vessel.
3) the E27 is wonderfully designed to accommodate an outboard in the transom cutout engineered for that purpose - prop behind the rudder removes the prop walk and dubious reversing problems.
4) electrical and charging systems are better handled by an inboard of any make or model.
5) there is no way to amortize any installation of a new or used inboard in todays market for E27's - but an inboard is generally meant for the long haul.

In other words, both systems work well at solving different sets of criteria so you will have to make your own choice. I chose the outboard instead of a new/used A4 or BetaMarine10 (which comes with A4 mounting options- bolt and go) based on the criteria important to me - cost, reversing reliably and quickly, and I can go to the head while one of my 9 or 11-year-old sons take the tiller briefly in safe conditions. I, also, would only go back to an inboard if it were a saildrive with whatever motor - gas or diesel. But that's sort of like putting an outboard under cover, isn't it. I'm real happy with the transom mount as I don't have to lift, I just tilt and everythings out of the water - and it's a whole lot easier to service NOT on a bracket.

I've really got to work on this TMI syndrome, harder. Or get out more.

Regards,

Bob
s/v Sur Le Vent
Newark, DE
MD registry

Last edited: