ATN Tacker

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Been trying to read up a little on symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers and came across this article on using the ATN Tacker with a symmetrical spinnaker without a pole:

http://www.sailmaker.com/articles/ATN_Tacker/ATN_Tacker.htm

Not having used a spinnaker before, but having read how the symmetrical works with the pole, I have a question about gybing with the ATN Tacker.

Since the Tacker uses a downhaul line to adjust the height of the sail tack, it seems that a gybe would end up with the downhaul line twisted around the forestay/jib.

Since I have little experience with spinnakers, this may be a dumb question, but maybe someone can explain it to me.

westcoastcat

Member II
tacker

The tacker "theoretically" spins around the furled sail as you gybe, had one one these on my Peterson 33, worked alright but didn't slide up and down the furled sail as easily as I would have liked. I never gybed the sail forward the forestay so the problem with the tack line did not occur but if if gybed forward I guess it does wrap on every opposite tack.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
But wouldn't the downhaul line also rotate with the Tacker and end up overlapping the jib/forestay? Because the downhaul line is led through a block on the deck inside of the forestay, it seems like whether you did an "outside" or an "inside" gybe you would end up with the downhaul line wrapped around the jib on one tack or the other.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Guess I should have looked at the ATN website first...d'oh!

They show the downhaul block attached to the bow roller in front of the forestay, which would then seem to eliminate the problem I brought up.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
No ATN Tacker

I have used the ATN Tacker on a previous boat and my Ericson 32. I no longer use it because I kept having trouble with it. Instead I had my marina weld a upside down "U" shaped s.s. connection point to my bow roller. I attached a block at the U and run the down haul / tack point there eliminating the ATN Tacker. It turns my bow roller into a short bow sprit and no the down haul / tack point has never gotten tangled in the bow roller and anchor.

I now have two ATN Tacker if anybody needs one. :egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Are you using a symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnaker? I was under the impression that the Tacker was designed to make a symmetrical spinnaker function like an asymmetrical - without the pole. Will the symmetrical still work correctly with just the tack downhaul line?

I was going to make my own "tacker" with some wooden beads, coated wire, thimbles and snap shackle. The ATN product is priced at $90; Neil Pryde sells the parrel bead version for $45. I figured I can make my own for half that if I can find a snap shackle lying around here somewhere...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Tackers are a great way to trash your furling gear. The forstay and furling units foils were never intended to be side loaded. These things are junk IMHO. Nothing against ATN, in fact their spinnaker sock is the best one on the market IMHO. Best way to go is to use the anchor roller and attach a block. You can either weld on a bail or simply drill a 1/4" hole in one of the side plates.

Seth can better comment on the sail but my experience has been that you will be hard pressed to get a symmetrical to fly nicely with out a pole. Best bet is to get a true assym. Not one of those " Cruising" kites that are in all the used sail merchants stores either. Seems like everyone has a a "harldy used" cruising kite. Mostly becasue the sails suck and are hard as hell to get to fly, so no one uses them.

I had Quantum here in Annapolis build me mine and it gets a ton of use. Often single handed.

Attachments

• DSC03378.jpg
    DSC03378.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 815

Bolo

Contributing Partner
A-sail

Mark, I fly an A-sail with my "poor man's" bow sprit. I agree with Ted about the ATN damaging the furling gear. That's one of the reasons I stopped using the ATN because it was bowing my furled jib out to an alarming degree when I allowed the tack to rise up about 3 or 4 feet above the deck. I even had an ATN come apart on me once. :eek: The clip that is used to wrap it around the furled sail failed and bent backwards. That was enough for me. :hoppingmad:

I also fly my A-sail solo sometimes or with just my wife at the helm. In addition I always have the A-sail sheets out with the bitter end attached to the bow pulpit (I have snap shackles on that end to make attachment easier) and the rest of it coiled back at the cockpit. That goes for the down haul too. It makes it a lot easier to "hook it up" when the time comes to fly it. I let the a-sail sheets lay down on the deck between the stanchions and the small bulwark we have on our boats. Never had a problem with it getting fouled up in anything. Also the sheets are different colors with a red one on the port side and green on the starboard.

Maybe you can get the symmetrical re-cut? Or sell it to get some cash for a used a-sail or a new one. You see them all the time on ebay. We love using ours cause it's such a rush to see it flying. It's big and RED! :egrin:

By the way Ted, I think we passed each other last weekend or the weekend before??? on Back Creek. I think you were heading out while we were heading in. You boat name is "Red something?" I've seen you around on the bay.

C. Trembanis

Member III
Atn

Are you using a symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnaker? I was under the impression that the Tacker was designed to make a symmetrical spinnaker function like an asymmetrical - without the pole. Will the symmetrical still work correctly with just the tack downhaul line?

I was going to make my own "tacker" with some wooden beads, coated wire, thimbles and snap shackle. The ATN product is priced at $90; Neil Pryde sells the parrel bead version for $45. I figured I can make my own for half that if I can find a snap shackle lying around here somewhere...

Made one from wooden beads off of a back scratcher. Used coated Lap Top
cable. Coast $0.00... Have'nt tried it but it should work. Beads are large and should track up and down the furled Genoa easily.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Good that you made it, but

You are better off not to use it-as the guys have said-they place loads on the headstay the furler was never meant to take, and in reality they give no benefit.

Attach the Tackline/Downhaul fwd of the furling drum. Keep the tack low when close reaching, and ease it up as you go to deeper angles, which allow the luff of the sail to rotate out in front of the boat more and project. An A- sail cut like Ted's will work better at deeper angles because it was designed as an all purpose shape, whereas some of the cruising kites don't have as much luff round and won't rotate out much no matter what you do-but either way, the tacker limits the sails ability to do this.

Use it for a Christmas wreath!

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Bob you saw Red Rover

Sorry , not my boat but another E-38 owner who is on this board from time to time. I keep my boat over off the South River in Hillsmere and generally sail between Thomas Point, and Herrington Harbor on the west side and Bloody and Sharps on the east side when just day sailing. We were out that sunday though in 3-5kts. Taught my 6 year old Max how to fly that assym..

Last edited: