Astraea

Steve Wall

Member II
Hello Everyone.

I ran into an Ericson 38 that I'm trying to gather a bit more info on. I'm purchasing, her as long as everything goes well. Her name is Astraea. Anyone heard of her or know her story?

Thanks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding boat model: I believe that is an "Ericson 381". The yacht under sail in the listing photos is apparently an "Ericson 38-200," the aft-head version (which has a small additional portlight on the cabin house). The other photos show a well maintained 381, with its open cabin layout and forward head. The "Ericson 38" was the initial design run, with a privacy structure enclosing the quarterberth and a split starboard salon seat.

Yeah, they're all generically "Ericson 38s" but the small differences in models are notable. I happen to much prefer the layout of the 381, and of course not because I own one, or because it might be a matter of taste, but simply because I like to head forward, never aft.

Steve Wall

Member II
Thanks. I was really wanting to know the differences. I looked at others, one with that nice rear cabin, but I think the larger galley will be nicer to have in the end. I expect to solo sail mostly so additional privacy will be nice but less useful.

That said, have there been threads on the different models that I can reference for my own edification?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Christian Williams said: "I happen to much prefer the layout of the 381, and of course not because I own one, or because it might be a matter of taste, but simply because I like to head forward, never aft."

And that is why they located it forward and called it the "head" going back hundreds of years....guess why?