Asbestos

Thalassa

Member II
I'm wondering if the Ericson factory ever used asbestos in the construction of the yachts. Sometimes when pumping the bilge I notice black little particles in the bilge water...

Peter Haenebalcke

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Asbestos itself is colorless - no reason to suspect that random "little black particles" would contain it. They could be random dirt, grease, algae, mold, or a combination of all of the above.
However, IIRC, there was a mystery filler putty called "webestos" that may have contained asbestos, used to fill voids during construction. Discussed here a while back. It shouldn't cause an issue unless you cut into it and produce dust.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree with Tod. If you have a bit of back-flooding from the bilge pump hose after it shuts off, there could be some particles in that liquid.
If your bilge has limber holes, it's good to clean out the crud in those with soap and a bottle brush every few seasons.

p.gazibara

Member III
Asbestos itself is colorless - no reason to suspect that random "little black particles" would contain it. They could be random dirt, grease, algae, mold, or a combination of all of the above.
However, IIRC, there was a mystery filler putty called "webestos" that may have contained asbestos, used to fill voids during construction. Discussed here a while back. It shouldn't cause an issue unless you cut into it and produce dust.
Can you elaborate on this? I may have cut into quite a bit of it when I removed the fiberglass headliner in our 35-2. (I was wearing full PPE)
I noticed certain areas where some sort of thickener was used:
Under the side decks
Two spots just forward of either side of the companionway (an older friend said they may have been winch backing for cross sheeted spinnakers)
One spot just forward of the mast
The filler is pink/red in color. It was sandwiched between the deck and the headliner.
-P

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Can you elaborate on this? I may have cut into quite a bit of it when I removed the fiberglass headliner in our 35-2. (I was wearing full PPE)
I noticed certain areas where some sort of thickener was used:
Under the side decks
Two spots just forward of either side of the companionway (an older friend said they may have been winch backing for cross sheeted spinnakers)
One spot just forward of the mast
The filler is pink/red in color. It was sandwiched between the deck and the headliner.
-P
AFAIK, that sounds like the stuff. On my boat, I've found it inside the molded "toe rails." I think that if you run a search on this site for "Webestos" you will find all that we know about it, which isn't much.