Applying Coachwhipping to the Yacht Specialities Wheel

Kimberly Thomas

I'm working up a "one way to do it"
article. I didn't take any photos during the process, so I'm going to demonstrate on a friends
wheel

Attachments

• wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,694

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Looks great! How long did that take you?

I'd say that's a 24-30" wheel steve, based on the baseboard radiator behind it.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Love the Turks's Head

The Turk's head knot you used to mark the king spoke looks great. I looked up how to do that same special knot (which fits over a spoke and rim) a few years back and rigged one on our wheel. My friends liked it so much that I ended up doing about a half dozen of them on the wheels of other boats. Sure beats the hell out of a wrap of electrical tape!

chuckshipp

I used some smaller 3 stranded cotton line, and did a cock coming, then painted it with white enamel. Took the wheel home and did it while watching TV.
Chuck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Popular thread...

apropos of nothing in particular...
I check the list of who is reading posts on this site ("currently active users") about once or twice a day when I stop by. This one particular thread is quite often being perused and often the "archive version" being d/l.

Interesting.:nerd:

There must be a number of folks searching the site for this one subject on a regular basis, is my guess.

Our boat's ss wheel came with a leather-covered rim from the prior owner, but if it were cold bare ss, I would have probably tried to do this project as well.

Loren

Last edited: