Anyone with sailing kids?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
That's ok - the picture is too good to pass up - besides - we're talking about 'Ericson Sailors' here...not what's under their feet (you can tell I used to live in DC, no?)! :egrin:

//sse

Roger Ware

Member III
3 more younger E-sailors

Here's one I shot yesterday on my E38 200 just outside Kingston on Lake Ontario. My daughter and two nieces.

Roger Ware
"Starlight II" E38 200
Kingston, ON

Attachments

• reed riley molly aug 06.jpg
    reed riley molly aug 06.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 199

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Kids n' kites

Nice rotation on the cruising kite! It is well projected to windward and looks fast!

S

Roger Ware

Member III
rotation with 2.5 kts TWS

good of you to notice that Seth - the real secret seemed to be hoisting the A-sail by itself! sets beautifully even at high apparent wind angles. But the VMG? Not stellar.

best regards
Roger

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Vmg?

Do you mean actual velocity made good, or are you referring to a sail (smaller, flatter A-sails are often referred to as VMG kites..)

If the former, I believe the actual VMG when sailing deep in light air is not so good-as it would be with most boats...

S

Roger Ware

Member III
I really meant that there was no ****ing wind!

but when you say "as with most boats" do you mean that this A sail doesnt perform well at high AWAs or the boat - E38 - doesnt perform? (I was just kidding around, but now you have got me interested).

Cheers, Roger

therapidone

Member III
These pics ALMOST make me wistful

Great pics...all of them! Even with time on my hands, I hadn't considered reading this thread 'til tonight...I'm glad now that I gave it a look-see.

My "kids" are all grown now with the youngest being 23...although, I still think of her as "the little one." I remember fondly the days when each of the three (2 sons in their 30's and the 23-yo dghtr) was still a tot; but, believe me when I tell you that I'm glad the teenage years are history (at 13, consider sending them aloft in space via some sort of rocket & allowing them to return to earth somewhere in their mid-20s!)! Unfortunately (for them and me), I came to sailing long after their formative years.

The only "kid" we now have on board w/ us is our 2.5 yr old Jack Russell/Beagle mix, Jinx. She wears a pfd at all times on the dock & in the boat whether we're underway, anchored, or tied up at the slip...not so much because she'd have problems doggy-paddlling, but the handle on the back of the pfd makes a nice place to deploy the business end of a boat hook to pull her out of the drink should the occasion ever arise. She has become so sure-footed that, even when underway, she now moves around the side decks, goes forward, and will cross from boat to boat in a raft-up. When we're headed to our marina from the bay, almost as soon as we enter the South River, she goes to the side of the cockpit & starts sniffing...I'm sure she's aware "we're headed home" even though we've got another 2 nautical miles to go! If pics of these types of kids count, I'll have to take some!:)

May you and all your children enjoy fair winds.

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Tom Greaves

Member I
And when the kids misbehave...

we send them up the mast, or insist they take the helm.

We spent a week sailing in Penobscot Bay, Maine last month. Both boys had a blast being hoisted up the mast -- the higher the better. In one instance this saved me a trip to unwrap the radar reflector from the stay. My daughter (4) was really quite miffed that she had to stay on deck; my bosun's chair does not fit her at all.

I've found it best to engage my kids in the sailing part as much as possible. Rowing or motoring with the dinghy seems possible at age 6. Next year I hope to have my Shellback dinghy completed and turn the boys loose.

We had no problems with 5-6 hour passages this time. My two youngest children have been sailing with us since... well, before they were born. It is way easier now that they're out of diapers. When it gets a little rough, they retreat to the v-birth.

Attachments

• IMG_1783x.jpg
    IMG_1783x.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
  • PIC_0061x.jpg
    PIC_0061x.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 122

rssailor

Kids at sea

I am getting my two year old used to sailing. Have taken him out on Moonglow several times and on my Coronado 15. I am taking him out this Sunday with three other people. He does pretty well for one so young, but the motion of the boat is really what he is getting used to. He loves to walk around inside the boat and sleeps well in the V-berth. So far, I don't have to fight him for the tiller, but I am sure that will change soon. Ryan Moonglow Ericson 25+

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
If pics of these types of kids count, I'll have to take some!:)

I know this is a little :offtopic: , but they're our fuzzy little boys and sail really well. The biggest things they love about the boat are being with us 24/7 and seeing their other sailor dog friend, Hobie.

Attachments

• Rollins Cove Dogs 1 sm.JPG
    Rollins Cove Dogs 1 sm.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Capt Bogey napping.JPG
    Capt Bogey napping.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 140

soup1438

Member II
And some of 'em are just happy to be there...

Here's some I took, neither particularly recent...

You'll note that there were months between these two pics...

Attachments

• a-jordanna.jpg
    a-jordanna.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 120
  • a-jordanna2.jpg
    a-jordanna2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 112

therapidone

Member III
Deploying the "chin cleat" on the starboard sheet

Ok, I asked the question in an earlier post & Chris decided that it was ok to post pics of our furry friends in this thread...so here's Jinx, our 17 - 18 lb Jack Russell Terrier/Beagle mix, in a typical pose (although, more frequently she has curled herself up into a ball in order to fit in the little "bed" on top of which you see her hind end) showing exactly how much help she is as part of the crew...it's a good thing we can sail for such a long distance on one point of sail when we're just out for a day sail w/ "no particular place to go" (ala Chuck Berry) so we don't have to disturb her.

This season, she has become so comfortable aboard the boat that she will walk all over the deck even while underway & while rafted up w/ other boats, she moves from boat to boat on her own. After a sail and as we approach our marina but are still 2 nautical miles away, she invariably perks up, puts her front paws on the coaming while her hind paws are on the cockpit seat & begins to sniff the air...she knows we're headed home...well, at least that's what I think she knows, she has yet to master English!

Regards,

Attachments

• chncltcmprsd.jpg
    chncltcmprsd.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

captiantim

Living on a sailboat with kids, we have 3 girls 6,8,10

We have been living on our boats for over 3 years now, our Ericson got wrecked so we now have a new boat, S/V Euroclydon.

My girls love living on boats, and there grades in school have gone way up, they just seem happier on the boats.

My wife and I have started a group on Facebook about living on boats.http://tinyurl.com/28l9w29