Anyone Using a Tablet For Navigation ?

JSM

Member III
Until we hit the lotto and can install a chart plotter and instruments we are thinking of using a tablet installed at the helm running Navionics as well as a Wi-Fi depth sounder and the app for our Fusion stereo. So far the likely candidate for the tablet is the Samsung
SM-T360NNGAXAR.
Anyone tablet recommendations ?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have an old full-size iPad v3 that I use for backup nav with the Navionics app. It is a good performer for this and the built-in GPS is a significant advantage over the newest Microsoft Surface series. I don't necessarily recommend an iPad but I haven't checked into the newer ones. This one works fine for the Navionics app. Number one requirement is a built-in GPS, IMHO. I suspect the Samsung will work fine if it has a GPS or can be interfaced to one.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
You don't necessarily need a tablet with GPS, if you have a multiplexer or other device that transmits ship's GPS data by WiFi. But it is good to have as a back-up. The point being that if you upgrade to a newer tablet, the old one can be dedicated to the boat.
I'm using iNavX on iPad that "only" has 16Gb. (I bought it for my Mom to browse and read books on. Not enough memory for much media, but it will hold all US charts.) iNavX doesn't do everything that MacEnc or Open CPN do, but the tablet uses far less power than a laptop.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?516-Nailing-the-computer-to-the-wall

attachment.php

Also experimenting with keeping a ship's log "on" the iPad using cloud storage. So it can also be accessed from home, or a phone, or wherever. Haven't developed a solution that I really like yet, however. I seem to generate a lot of sketches and notes on a pad of engineering paper at the chart table, and there is a need to somehow integrate these with electronic notes. Maybe one of the newer tablets with a smart-stylus would work better for this?

I know, there are tons of apps that let you "draw" on a tablet with your finger, or a dumb stylus. But I haven't got the knack of that. Or of integrating a drawing from one app into a narrative log on another app. It ain't like a real computer.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have an older (gen2?) ipad on the boat. primary purpose is to serve up playlists to the stereo thru bluetooth.... but I have iNavX and iSailor and a couple of other things (such as the app for the Vesper AIS), and it seems to do a credible job of keeping track of where I am.

As others have noted, the key (at least on an Apple device) is to have one with the cellular phone chips. You don't need cell service to use the GPS, but the GPS circuitry is built into the cell chips, so if the iPad (or whatever) is not cell-capable, you won't get a GPS signal...

JSM

Member III
Thanks all, my older Ipad does not have the cell chips and therefor no GPS. I liking the Samsung SM-T360NNGAXAR because it has rubberized case as standard, is waterproof and has high visibility in the day light.

bolbmw

Member III
I bought a iPad mini with the explicit purpose of using it for navigation.... a year later I bought a B&G Zeus2 and haven't used the iPad since.

iPad problems:
screen isn't visible in bright sunlight
screen isn't usable if it's wet (had it in a LifeProof case. touch response is awful or non existent if there is water on the surface)
iPad will shut off if it's too hot outside (basically being in the sun for a hour or two)

samsung android should be about the same problems. I think they're totally fine when combined with Navionics or something like iNavx, but I would consider it a backup to a real chart plotter which is designed to operate in the lements.

p.gazibara

Member III
We used navionics quite a bit out here in the PNW. When we head out for our big trip, we will be running opencpn from the chart table and navionics remotely in an iPad with a life proof case. I had an iPad with cellular, so it had a gps built in. It was great. That iPad bit the dust (had a 5 year run) I will be replacing it soon.

-P

Bink

Member I
I- sailor

I have the FREE iSailor app which I downloaded on my iphone 7s. This app also will run on my ipad.

Once you've the app, you purchase the applicable chart package for your area. I purchased the charts for New England, which I believe range from Cape May NJ- Maine, for $14.99.

I downloaded iSailor due to the recommendations of several of my friends who are professional sailors, on larger sailboats, based here in Newport. They rave about the app, and for coastal type cruising, it is ideal.

Thus far, all is great.

Hope this helps.

Bink
E 27.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Another software contender is the Weather4D series of apps. They're primarily weather forecasting tools, but the "pro" version includes navigation and routing.
During a fit of weather enthusiasm last winter, I downloaded the basic app, but haven't got very deeply into it yet. They come with a book that you have to read...
But it was highly recommended by a couple of passage-makers. Download the GRIBs and it plays an animation of the weeks weather - helps you plan your trip, then execute it.

Correction: It's the "Weather4D2.0" version that has full navigation.

Last edited: