Anyone have old/replaced round instruments for sale?

Joseph Tokos

Hello folks. This is my first post. We have a like-new 71' E29 (#129) on Lake Superior, purchased in 1999. A photo from a trip in the Apostle Island Natiional Lakeshore, a favorite haunt, is attached. We love it, and our enthusiasm convinced the inlaws to buy a 1989 E38 on the Chesapeake!
Problem: We have a Kenyon knotmeter and TSI depthsounder, both of early 70's vintage. The sounder has a bad connector at the meter that I am attempting to repair. The speedo definitely needs to be replaced. It was repaired by Miller Marine in FL two years ago, but has gone out again, they can't get parts anymore, so have stopped working on them. Thanks for the lead to DMI Marine (www.dmimarine.com). I will get in touch with them about a possible repair, but it might cost less (and be more reliable), to replace with a slightly newer (e.g. 80's vintage) meter. Would anyone like to sell a knotmeter and/or depthsounder from a recent refit?

Remember... 10% of the world's fresh (ice)water is in Lake Superior!

Joe.

Attachments

• Tranquility_stbdtack-8.JPG
    Tranquility_stbdtack-8.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 459

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I opened this thread back up (Seth... :) ) - assuming that he locked it down by accident... If I'm wrong, it can be reclosed, etc.

//sse

Joseph Tokos

Thanks

Sean Engle said:
I opened this thread back up (Seth... :) ) - assuming that he locked it down by accident... If I'm wrong, it can be reclosed, etc.

//sse
Thanks, Sean. That was my first note on the system. I did lock it down inadvertently. Correction to my original note: my depthsounder was made by Omni, Marblehead, MA. I don't know if they are still in business.
Joe.

Emerald

Hi Joe,

I may have the Kenyon knotmeter you need. Don't know if it works, asI don't have the transducer, but the head unit is yours for the taking. Email me directly with shipping info, and I'll send it to you.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

escapade

Inactive Member
used instruments

Joe
I have a knot log & depth sounder (Stowe) that I have replaced. All functions work including lighting. Unfortunately the thru hulls did NOT survive the refit. Simrad is now the company that own's the Stowe name. Info for these instruments is available from them. If you're interested contact me & I will give you more info so you can see if you can still get the thru hulls for these units. I believe they are about 1988/89 vintage but where still working fine when I removed them (Mrs. Santa brought me B&G's for Christmass, WOW).
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

gjersvik

Member II
Repairing Old Instruments

Last year my new to me boat came with '70's vintage Electro Marine depth sounder and knot meter. I thought the depth sounder might be servicible so I sent it in for repair. Despite the unit looking good, it turned out that just about every part had a problem (transducer, gain box, and analog guage). The good new is that Moor (who took over Electro Marine) has a favorable exchange program, so at least I saved some money over full retail. Moor probably could have gotten the old unit to work, but it would not be accurate, and I would not know how far out it was until I ran aground. :esad: My $.02 is don't mess with old instruments, because you may not be able to rely on them.

rssailor

Old insturments

Toss the old stuff and replace with new units as you can afford. Newer electronics are so much better than the older stuff. Yeah the holes may not work for the newer stuff, but nothing that a clever boat wright couldn't fix. Good luck. Ryan

Joseph Tokos

Thanks for advice

gjersvik said:
If you have four inch holes you may want to look at Moor Electronics. They seem to be a basic replacement for old gauages. They are online at:
http://www.moorelectronics.com/index.html

Thanks for the lead to Moor. I'll check them out. I agree about trying to service old instruments. I spent more than $100 to fix my old Kenyon speedo, which is now not any more reliable than before. However, I'm pretty frugal (read cheap), and have no intention of investing $400-600 on a pair of instruments to fit the 4" holes. I want to keep the traditional round appearance on the boat. The Signet stuff is way too expensive, SR Mariner makes a good analog speedo but the depthsounder is almost $400 by itself (!). One alternative I'm considering is to buy a Raymarine ST40 bidata for about $250 (if I can locate a round bezel/cover; I thought that was available). I don't think they make them anymore, but they are still available on clearance.

Joe
Tranquility, E29 #129