Anyone ever hear of a leak like this??

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I was helping out a member of my club tonight, he has a C&C 35 with a Universal M30 or M40. The crankcase was filling up with saltwater if the seacock was left open either running or shut down. The engine driven raw water pump, a Sherwood, that is so familiar to the Universal owners was leaking raw water back though the housing and into the crankcase. I didn't think this was even possible but there is was. He had just changed the impeller last week and we guess that he disturbed the inner seal. I am not particularly happy about this setup as this is one heck of an Achilles heel. Word of warning to all Universal owners, check your oil a few times after you mess around with the raw water pump. It could save your engine. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I don't know about those engines but the OEM water pump on my M25 is an Oberdorfer. I just replaced both seals and the impeller. If the water gets past the first seal, it will leak from the bottom of the pump. There is not way it could ever find it's way into the crankcase.