Anyone added a double berth to an E-27?

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I keep thinking there has to be an easy way to add to the starboard sette.

I want something that can be removed though. I'm thinking the best option is to add supports on the bulk head (maybe a lip). And then do the same along the front of the set. Maybe add a fold down leg to the side that faces aft.

option 2: add a permanent seat to the starboard sette on the bulkhead (bonus storage space underneath the seat). Then add a table that can go up or down on a pedestal.

option 3: make to support that go from the starboard sette to the port sette. Then sleep across. I don't like option 3.

thanks Rob
sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:

Schoolboyheart

Member II
Thanks Loren, feels like deja vu!

That first image is definately what i don't want to do because i want to have a walk way still. sounds like someone else has do the mod of adding lips/swing out platforms. i'll keep searching i guess but if someone has this arrangement and has a picture i'd love to see it.

PDX

Member III
Offhand I don't remember whether E27s have equal length settees. I know some 1970s Ericsons don't. If your boat has equal length settees, you may be accomplish what you want by simply adding a false front to one of your settees, held on by a piano hinge. Unless you are using the settee as a berth the hinge stays down, out of the way. To use the settee as a berth you would simply open the hinge out and prop it up with fold down pegs.

Note the piano hinge on the starboard settee in the picture below:

dinette and floor closeup.jpg

Last edited:

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I'll have to measure the distance from the sette to the sole. I have a feeling the piano hinge wouldn't add enough space to make it worth it.

Maybe Mark's way is the only way. Mark do you have a write up on how you fabricated your idea. The one thing I like is that the the table is the bed. I don't want to have to store random boards.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can't remember who, but someone posted pics of a "slide-out" extension with two or three legs on the leading edge. It tucks under the cushions when not in use, and the legs are flush against the settee base.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
That's what i really want to do, i'll keep searching and maybe it'll pop up, i can't figure out what type of hinges would allow me to do what you're talking about.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
That's the type of thing I'd like to do although my batteries would be covered using that exact method. In the new year I'm going to figure this out but it's great to see all the options. I'm thinking about a back cushion that goes the length of the sette with a 1/2 inch plywood backing would be good. Then just attach some lips for it to rest on along with a way to lock it down.

too many options