Any Universal M-40 Experts Out There?

erobitaille

Member II
My M-40 has started to spurt a small amount of oil out the breaker tube:confused:. It has never done this in the past, changed the oil this spring it is at the proper level. Engine seems to run fine but now i need clean up a small (about the size of a quarter) puddle on the deck behind the ladder every time we take her out. I think I willinstall a small catch bottle that will still alow the breather to breath.

Anyone have a suggestion why it is spitting oil?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Our M40 (or 5432) also suffered from "blow-by", in spite of the efforts of my mechanic. I ended up doing a modification in which I routed the breather tube to the side of the air intake. If you hunt around you can find a lot of mention of this simple modification, especially among Catalina owners for some reason. All the oil gets sucked back into the engine.

There has been some suggestion that this modification can mess things up a bit, since you can be changing the pressure inside the engine, but it seemed to work just fine for me.

erobitaille

Member II
Thank you gentlemen, great stuff. Now that i think about it does make more sense to return it ot the intake and burn it off rather than collect it ( my original solution)then trying to get rid of waste oil.

erobitaille

Member II
Rob,

Thanks for the info the installtion looks great! Like you my engine did not have a "filter element" which allways bugged me. I ordered the K&N this AM.

stobias

"Alibi"
The M-12's in my E 26 and my old E 28, came from the factory with the breather tube clipped right onto the intake box.