Any recommendations for dodger in Seattle/Bellingham area

InSync

Member II
We purchased an Ericson 32 last summer and are planning on installing a dodger. The boat has never had one so we are starting from scratch.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a manufacturer in the Seattle to Bellingham area?

Also, any tricks/ideas in dodger design that have particularly useful for an Ericson 32?

Many thanks for your time.

rvivian

Member I
Dodger supplier

I bought a new dodger from Churchill Brothers in Everett and am pretty happy with it.

$$$$

If you are keeping the boat in the NW a hard dodger is more expensive but will last a lot longer -- a good investment.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Iverson's

I have spoken to Mr Iverson several times and looked at his workmanship. It's really nice.
http://www.iversonsdesign.com/index.html

When we get around to replacing our 1995 dodger we plan on either having him do the work here in Portland (he sez that he does installs down here, too) or just schedule to have it done when we take the boat up to Puget Sound for a vacation.

Loren

Maine Sail

Member III
I have spoken to Mr Iverson several times and looked at his workmanship. It's really nice.
http://www.iversonsdesign.com/index.html

When we get around to replacing our 1995 dodger we plan on either having him do the work here in Portland (he sez that he does installs down here, too) or just schedule to have it done when we take the boat up to Puget Sound for a vacation.

Loren

They are one of the best on the country at dodgers..

InSync

Member II
New dodger for E-32

Yes, Iverson's was recommended by someone else as well. From viewing their website they certainly seem to have all the bases covered! It was mentioned that they tend to be a bit pricey compared to others, but I'm not sure if that's a matter of you get what you pay for.
Are there any features that you would especially recommend? My experience on sailing boats prior to this has primarily been racing - no dodgers allowed there!

jimk

Member II
port towsand canvas

This company built a dogger for my E-38 3 years ago outstanding job and very easy to work with. There are several pictures of our boat along with many others to see.

http://ptmta.org/wp/archives/216

Last edited by a moderator:

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
Blaine Dodger Manufacturer

Catnip in Blaine seems to get all the work at Semiahmoo Marina. He does a nice job.
John Gleadle

Jack Kintner

Slight correction

Catnip in Blaine seems to get all the work at Semiahmoo Marina. He does a nice job.
John Gleadle

It's actually Catnap & Co. at 2240 Peace Portal Way in Blaine, 360/332-3111. Owner Bob Knapp does such a fine job that Iverson's doesn't bother coming north of Anacortes. And Bob will even serenade you while he works.

Jack Kintner

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We chose Iversons

We had admired his work on other boats and checked out his design at the Seattle Boat Show a few years ago. We've been very happy with it since it was installed in 2009. We added the side rails and the aft grip rail. And the frame is the optional 1-1/4" tube. We got a good deal from him on a new, matching sail cover, two hatch covers, wheel cover, engine control cover and hatch board shield, using the same dark red color. He adds some little touches like the pockets in each side below the eye-brow windows and a mini-flashlight that is stowed at the aft center. For those dark night returns to the combination lock on your hatch.

He installed it in two visits. The first visit (with the old dodger still attached) we talked about the basic and optional features and made decisions about how far back it would come, how high above the cockpit it would be, allowances for lines coming aft into the cockpit, etc. He and his assistant made a bunch of measurements and we took the old dodger off and took it home. They continued to work after we left and they finished most of the deck work. A few days later they came out and completed the installation. The third visit they made was to install the new sail cover, hatch covers and new fasteners, which we had ordered too late to have finished for the installation visit.

From a design point of view he's locally famous for standing on top of his dodgers, which are very sturdy because he adds vertical supports for the forward bow on either side of the hatch opening. It's a clean and solid installation. If you are happy with your frame, he will re-canvas. He was sort of reluctant, as you can imagine, but he did a nice re-canvas for one of our marina neighbors.

We are happy customers, and not involved in his business. He takes most of his orders for the year at the Seattle Boat Show in January and installs roughly in the order he receives deposits. He seems to try to combine and coordinate based on location to some extent, though, to save time and costs for himself. He did our neighbor's job at the same time he did ours.

He has a website: http://www.iversonsdesign.com/

He's jazzed that up quite a bit.

Attachments

• DSC_3363.jpg
    DSC_3363.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_2325.jpg
    DSC_2325.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 148
Last edited: