Any opinions on Raymarine a65?

adam

Member III
I don't really "need" a chart plotter, but it will definitely be useful in May as I head down to Santa Cruz and in July as I head up the Sacramento Delta.

But this also seems like something I can also move to the next boat (TNB) when I get it, and use it as a Chart Plotter / Gauge Display saving myself hundreds on getting new speed and depth gauges. (Any boat in the price range I'm looking for will almost surely not come with new gauges.)

But there don't seem to be many reviews out there on these new devices. What do you guys things of them?

Oh... and I'm looking at the new Wifi version. Being able to use my android phone or a tablet as a 2nd display in the cabin seems fantastic.

Thanks and cheers,
-Adam

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I don't really "need" a chart plotter, but it will definitely be useful in May as I head down to Santa Cruz and in July as I head up the Sacramento Delta.

But this also seems like something I can also move to the next boat (TNB) when I get it, and use it as a Chart Plotter / Gauge Display saving myself hundreds on getting new speed and depth gauges. (Any boat in the price range I'm looking for will almost surely not come with new gauges.)

But there don't seem to be many reviews out there on these new devices. What do you guys things of them?

Oh... and I'm looking at the new Wifi version. Being able to use my android phone or a tablet as a 2nd display in the cabin seems fantastic.

Thanks and cheers,
-Adam

I don't have any information about the plotter you're asking about but if you're in the market you may want to consider the B&G Zeus Touch series. Specially designed for sailing with some kinda cool features (especially for racing or sailing through inshore waters). It broadcasts via a Simrad "Go Free" wifi network for $100 or so more. (Simrad and B&G are owned by the same parent company).

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also check out the Garmin Echosounder 50s, which I am liking very well. Has wireless. About $450. Five-inch screen.

McGinnis

Member II
I have the A65 (no chips) at the nav station and it's only purpose is to provide a GPS signal for the AIS. Once in a while, I use it to check speed while down below.

I much prefer my iPhone or iPad for navigation.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Ray Marine

I have a E-90. I have had problems with Raymarine Over misinformation in their catalogue and ended up with three months without my Raymarine VHF remote because of total failure by Raymarine to answer any queries from me or the Dealer about errors in their catalogue. They make great stuff but , if you want or need Factory Support, I would recommend any electronics except Raymarine. I was going to add to my already substantial Raymarine inventory but I am now slowly eliminating the Raymarine as I know there is zero support to the field. I only got the remote up by extensive searching on the net. Not impressive. :mad:

Bob Morrison
Terra Nova E-34

Guy Stevens

Open CPN

For the same amount of effort, and a little fiddling of your fingers on the keyboard, (which anyone can do, and do with great support from a great community), you could run OpenCpn on a laptop down on the nav station.

If you need it in the cockpit, there are even ways to do that.

But if you really don't need a chart plotter, you could get OpenCPN for free, and all the charts for the US for free, and be setup. It just depends on what you need or don't need.

OpenCPN and a monitor that swings out into the companionway is amazing for most of the people that have tried it.

Total cost... For most people is the cost of a monitor that meets their needs.

I have it running in a variety of environments doing a variety of jobs. Even on a raspberry pi that I control with my Nexus 7 tablet from the cockpit.

I have it setup in various configurations with various nema 0183 sounders, Gps units, and even a radar head without a display.

Guy
:)