Annapolis to Solomons 2008

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Any of you Chesapeake E-Sailors do this overnight race? Near perfect conditions 12-15kt southerly with a full moon and clear skys. We Could have used a bit more rail meat but still had fun. Ended up 7th in our 20 boat division, PHRF B. They moved the PHRF splits this year which made us the top boat in B instead of the bottom boat in A3. B fleet is a tough crowd here on the bay. There are several S2 9.1's that we owed 18 seconds to but could not shake. These are very well sailed boats but I still could not believe we were not able to walk away boat for boat. Pointing was as good or better than them but speed was just not there I guess. Rig tune was probably a bit soft and my sails are now 3 and 5 years old verses their new 3DLs... Anyway it was still a blast and the bloodies and screwdrivers at 6am at the party were great. Sailed back saturday afternoon in the same southerly. Kite ride at 8.5-9 the whole way to Annapolis. :egrin:

erobitaille

Member II
Ted,

Wow do I miss this race:esad:. I ran it a number of times, on my boat and other boats, back in the 80's when we had our boat at Mears.

therapidone

Member III
Didn't race but went down anyhow

For the 1st year in the last 6, I didn't crew or enter this year. However, I left Friday afternoon w/ a dockmate on his Caliber 33 & were anchored early enough Friday evening that waking up Saturday for the bloodies and screwdrivers was not a problem. Another dockmate entered his 39' Pearson for the 1st time (he had crewed w/ us in the past & also entered his own Pearson 27 Renegade years ago--my first time in the race was crewing aboard her) in PHRF B & finished 15th out of 20...he was surprised to see your PHRF rating vs. his of 150 in the same class. I let him know that they changed the break points for the PHRF classes this year. We didn't sail back until Sunday & the winds built up around noon to the same force as Friday & Saturday. The ride back Sunday reminded us of the sled ride down the bay in last year's race.:egrin: