Annapolis to Bermuda '08

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So it looks like I will be doing this race on a customers Jon Merie 40 this year. Going to be doing helping with tactics, and navigating as well as bow when needed. Have not done this race before so if any of you have some tips please share. We are getting routing info and I am hoping to get Deckmann going on the boat but have not used it before. Any thoughts on how we get the NOAA weather charts that are free downloaded to our laptop offshore? I believe we have the connectivity sorted out but have not used the charts or software needed. Do we need something like deckmann to make them work or can we use something else that is maybe free? Customer is spending a lot of dough with us on the rigging and safety systems. Little nervous about starting on friday the 13th for bermuda but will hope for the best.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
You will need Deckman or similar if you want to integrate the whole thing on the laptop.

If you are using Commanders (I endorse those guys) you will get good info, but it is really important to pay atention to the Gulf Stream "meanders"-there are daily images of these constantly changing aspects of the Stream, and you want to get the very latest view/summary of them before you go, and any forcast changes-then, as you encounter them you can confirm the accuracy by checking sea temperature, and of course COG (or even better to use "set and drift" on the GPS).

There will almost certainly be sections of the Stream where you can get a big boost in the right direction, and others where you can have 4 knots right on the nose-despite the general south-north set of the Stream. It is good Stream management that wins this race. These little rivers can be only a mile wide, so it is very important when you find yourself with a set in the right direction to note the direction of the set, and track temps. As you leave it, it will get colder very quickly. If you can determine the course (direction) of your "personal" Gulf Stream and the width (by testing using temp and set/drift), you can maximize the benefits.

Otherwise, be very alert to temp changes and watch COG/SOG very closely, so that if you encounter a countercurrent you can get out of it FAST.

Good luck!!!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Have to see if onboard instruments track temp. Otherwise I guess I'll trail my rectal thermometer. Never go to sea with out it!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
At least not in the Stream!

Hiya Ted,

Even back in the day (before Loran), one NEVER crossed the Stream without a sea temp guage-this is the # 1 tool for crossing the Stream-if you don't have it (but I'm sure you do), you will be the only boat in the race without it...
A definite "must have"! All B&G systems have it available..

Have a ball-it is a great race!!

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My "modern" Raymarine ST-60 instruments display the water temp and speed. I bet that all the other similar competitors do, too.
:confused:

Loren

mark reed

Member III
professional advice?

I did this crossing aboard a friend's 42' catamaran in 1999. As others have said, the Gulf Stream is often the biggest factor. We had a lot of help from Herb Hilgenberg (Southbound II), but he is now retired. Have you thought of getting any advice from Jennifer Clark? (http://users.erols.com/gulfstrm/)
Have a great trip!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
a sea temp guage-this is the # 1 tool for crossing the Stream

Where is the prefered mount for the sensor?

I have Signet instrumentation, and they make a combined depth tranducer with temperature sensor, they do not make one that combines with the paddle wheel. I had been hoping to keep the depth transducer beaming through the fibreglass without a dedicated hole in the hull, but I have never seen a temperature sensor that mounts in a normal through hull, that I could use at the engine intake for example.

Are there any other options, other than periodially lowering a swimming pool thermometer over the side? Or should I plan on an extra hole in the hull?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

About the sea temp sensor, I've gotten a temp sensor from my dog's vet. He just gave it to me for nothing. What do you think I should do with it?

Raymarine's ST60 has a sea temp function built in.

Morgan Stinemetz

Seth

Sustaining Partner
That was cute

Of course, we all know where that particular sensor has been! Woof!
Here is some good stuff:

GULF STREAM FACTOIDS
The Artemis Transit Race from Plymouth (GBR) to Boston (USA) is now
completed, with each skipper now filing away their notes for future use. One
of the race variables was the Gulf Stream current, with the race website
providing a couple of stories on. Here are some factoids:

* A comprehensive study was first done by Benjamin Franklin in 1770 in
order to optimize the travel time of mail sent to Europe.

* The Gulf Stream, like all major currents, is governed by wind-induced
circulation on the North Atlantic scale, circulation which intensifies on
the western edge along the U.S. due to the earth’s rotation.

* The Gulf Stream affects water up to a depth of 1500 to 2000 metres, and
the relatively high temperature is due to the fact that the current carries
waters originating from an area located between Florida and the Bahamas,
with the cold/salty water diving under warmer/less salty waters.

* The Gulf Stream can reach a width of more than 90 miles with a maximum
depth of roughly 4,000 feet. In the Straits of Florida, the volume of water
transported by the Gulf Stream is estimated at 30 million cubic metres per
second and this figure rises to 80 millions m3/s at 35° N! By way of
comparison, the combined flow of all rivers that empty into the Atlantic is
approximately 0.6 millions m3/s.

> More Gulf Stream:
http://www.theartemistransat.com/60/article.asp?sid=15167
> Climate change and the Gulf Stream: http://abe5.com/4er

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Guys. Any thoughts on the range of air temps this time of year for this race. I'm trying to pack as light as possible but dont want to freeze me arse off either.