Anchor Windlass

Richard Elliott

Member III
I've read the many threads on this subject. I intend to replace the horizontal Simpson Lawrence manual windlass mounted just aft of the anchor locker on our 1989 E34 with a power windlass. The manual works fine but is difficult to operate while tailing the chain, really needing a second person on the foredeck. I saw some very nice modifications of the anchor locker at the NW Rendezvous, especially the free-fall chain locker on Job Site II from Van. B.C. However, my choice is to retain the existing locker with likely a Lewmar V2 vertical windlass mounted just aft of the cover requiring tailing the chain into the locker. Will I need a capstan or will the gypsy be adequate? In three years of frequent anchoring with a 33lb. Bruce and 50 ft. of 5/16 chain I have never needed the capstan on the manual windlass. I also try hard never to anchor in over 50ft. of water!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I installed a windlass with a capstan on my E-34 because I got a good price on it, and it has turned out to be a PITA. I haven't thought up a use for the capstan yet, other than snagging jib sheets.

I posted pictures a while ago:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2618

One thing not shown in the pics is a stainless edge guard on the lip of the anchor locker to prevent the chain from chipping the gel coat.

Shadowfax

Member III
Tom

I had no idea you had installed a windlass. As clumsy as I am, I’d be in the emergency room at the end of every weekend with broken toes!

Richard Elliott

Member III
E34 Anchor Windlass

A trip to a well-stocked marine store today came up with a surprise! Apparently the Lewmar V2 or V3 vertical windlasses will not work for me since the chain exits downward through a curved tube, intended to drop directly into a chain locker. I want to mount mine just aft of the anchor locker door so the chain must exit forward and not downward. I've been steered toward a Maxwell VW 800 which apparently is available without the capstan.

lbertran

Member III
Help With Manual Windlass

For those of you having problems tailing the chain on a manual windlass: have you tried using a chain stripper? It looks something like an angled verticle prong with a small base for mounting underneath the chain wildcat. It strips the chain out of the wildcat so that it can drop into the hawse pipe. Lewmar still makes them and you can often find them in marine consignment shops. Works like a charm on my boat.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

Last edited: