Anchor Stowage

Mitch

Member I
Hello all -

I'm having some difficulty with the placement of the anchor on my new (to me) E-27. It is a danforth and is currently mounted on the pulpit in such a way that the spinnaker and sometimes genny can foul on it. This never fails to inspire visions in my head of the sail ripping, the anchor being pulled free, and other minor disasters. Where do others mount their anchor? I'd like to keep it forward and on deck for quick deployment, but it is obviously no good where it is right now. Any suggestions?

-Mitch

Jim Baldwin

Member II
hook-up

I have installed a bow roller and a windlass on my E27, along with the CQR anchor. (A bit over done, I'll admit). I do think the bow roller is a good idea though.

I also hang an anchor on a bracket at the stern rail. I have installed a deck pipe and the chain locker in the lazerett. This one is quick and handy and a good choice for lunch or dinner.

Gary and Terri

What we did when we first got our 27 was to close in the forepeak?(front part of v berth) with a piece of oak plywood. Put a good heavy coat of fiberglass resin on forward side and stained and varnished to match the insides. This created an anchor locker that did not exist before. we then cut in a deck pipe up top. We stow a 15 lb. danforth type on the bow rail with the standard brackets and a bungee to keep anchor from popping out (happened on a Cataline 22 we had once, not good.) during storm etc. The locker is large enough to hold 250'+ of 1/2" line and 40' of 5/16 chain.over kill? yes but, KOW never had an anchor drag either. We have been thinking of changing the bow rail and adding a nice teak pulpit. Good luck Gary and Terri

Bill Hearsey

I am also thinking of installing an anchor locker in the fore peak area. Did you need to do any thing about drainage or is the enough as it is designed. I also carry the same amount of anchor line. I do not like having to worry about my anchor holding all night.

Bill Hearsey
SV Little Rosscoe

Gary and Terri

Bill, When I check the area there was a void(drain) that went down to the keel and on to the bildge. I do not know if others are similar. Good luck Gary

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Fun in the forepeak

Bill: Water draining from the forpeak chainlocker was trapped in the first compartment under the v-berth. A hole saw fixed that and a little five-minute epoxy sealed the exposed plywood edge.

Of course the 1 1/4" hole is cut as low as possible. (I don't like those little stump-water lakes lurking here and there.) Now it's a straight shot to the bilge.

After I have used the anchor and stowed it away again, I stick the hose down the deck pipe and give everything a good rinse. This minimizes those salty-smells and keeps the chain pretty and the rope soft.

When you plywood up the forepeak you should also install an easy access port or opening cabinet door so you can get to everything. An air vent is also a good idea.

Be sure you can take the whole thing out if you need to because you won't be able to reach any of the nuts, bolts or wireing.

Fun project and well worth the effort. :cool:

JMGOMEZ

Member I
I have pondered for quite a while how best to store the Danfor anchor on the foredeck of my E27. Initialy it was hung on the pulpit. Then I tried the bow roller avernue, but this required the anchor to really stick out, and thus would present an easy target for lines and other items to get tangle just as I was motoring away from the dock. The ideal solution would be an anchor locker built into the foredeck and with proper drainage to the outside. However, even if some sort of anchor locker is obtained from a boat manufacturer, paying for the installation is not cheap. I have since accepted the practicality of keeping the anchor hung from the pulpit. However, for the sake of minimizing weight up front, I am thinking of investing in a Fortress aluminum anchor. If anyone has found a better anchor storage solution, please let me know.

Good luck.
Joe
:egrin: