Anchor rode growth.

Solarken

Member II
Hello,

after a while at anchorage I get growth on the rope rode. It will pull fine but I don’t like to put all that in the locker and bilge. Ideas to get it off the ride before it goes in through the windless directly to the locker? I’ve got 200’ out plus 75’ of chain. I imagine the growth will not be on all of it due to light not getting down past 40’ or so.

thank you

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Just out of curiosity I did a web search for 'anchor rode brush' and found this:

My curiosity didn't carry me any further, but there may be even better solutions out there.

75' of chain! Wow.
Cheers, Jeff

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You must be cruising. Anchored for weeks with 300' scope, impressive. Do tell us more as Internet connection permits.

Solarken

Member II
Just out of curiosity I did a web search for 'anchor rode brush' and found this:

My curiosity didn't carry me any further, but there may be even better solutions out there.

75' of chain! Wow.
Cheers, Jeff
Well the WP site takes me no place and then tries to open my WP account
Thank you for trying.. wonder if it will clean ⅝“ line?
75’ of ⅜ HD chain. Need to add another 75’.

Solarken

Member II
You must be cruising. Anchored for weeks with 300' scope, impressive. Do tell us more as Internet connection permits.
Well I’ve been where satellite was all there was but now I have cell internet. I’m working this morning as I send this. You can get pretty good coverage with the new Starlink ?/? Check name. It’s about $230 a month. I think $2000 to install it.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Yeah, it was kind of glitchy for me too. Swiped from the site, you can get the gist of it:

chain_scrubber 1.png

chain_scrubber 2.png

chain_scrubber 3.png

"The chain scrubber works by capturing the chain. With a weight on one end and a messenger line to a bow cleat, the scrubber should sit below the water, scrubbing the chain as we weigh anchor. I attached a line to encircle the whole scrubber to secure it closed, . . ."

Solarken

Member II
This green growth is what I want to clean off. ⅝’ rode is 1-¾’ with the growth before you wring water out of it.

Attachments

• 71977DD3-01B4-4576-A132-D74BCC27F8EC.jpeg
    71977DD3-01B4-4576-A132-D74BCC27F8EC.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 17

Second Star

Member III
A pressure washer would be ideal but few have 120V AC at anchor. A full cleaning may have to wait until you get alongside to range the cable out on the dock.
A terry cloth rag (old towel) with mild detergent to scrub it in sections as it comes aboard would go a long way to help as it comes in. Much easier if you are not pulling it in by hand!

markvone

Sustaining Member
This green growth is what I want to clean off. ⅝’ rode is 1-¾’ with the growth before you wring water out of it.
I have this Shurhold line and cable brush:

I just cleaned my shore power cable (with Softscrub) and 1/2 inch dock lines (with just water) using this brush. Worked great. I'd say 1/2 inch line is the SMALLEST line it can close down on to scrub, so 5/8 to 1 inch anchor rode should be perfect. It won't work on chain of the size we use for anchoring. It will scrub that green growth off that anchor rode.

Mark