Anchor locker latch

sinman

I recently bought an E38-200. The latch for the anchor locker is missing. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know if it's the same, but on our E30+ the latch is a Perko latch with a round pull handle on it, available at most chandleries. When I replaced ours quite a few years ago, the replacement only lasted a couple of years and then broke. Perko replaced it free of charge and the new one has lasted well.

Frank

sinman

Not the same unfortunately. Mine has a sort of large D shaped ring with a spring loaded piston to latch it. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow after I go back to the boat. Thanks for the reply Frank.

sinman

No, a little more to the left than is shown in your picture. I'm talking about the latch that holds the lid to the locker in place.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This guy here? If that's it I can get the dimensions of mine later today. I have no idea if that is a standard part that is still available or not.

20170414_130353-small-arrow.jpg

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I measured mine, but I won't be able to post a decent diagram with dimensions until tomorrow or Monday. I don't know what it's called either. You could print that picture and take it to a marine store to see if they have anything like that. It may have been custom made.

The bottom piece of bar is 8-5/16 inches long, the handle part is 2 inches high. The handle is welded 1-1/2 inches from the left side and 2-1/8 inches from the right side. That makes the handle about 4.6875 inches wide. It is made of 3/16" or 5mm stainless bar. You might want to measure that depression in your locker to see if those dimensions are similar to what you need. I'll try to get a drawing posted in the next couple days.

Good luck!

sinman

I measured mine, but I won't be able to post a decent diagram with dimensions until tomorrow or Monday. I don't know what it's called either. You could print that picture and take it to a marine store to see if they have anything like that. It may have been custom made.

The bottom piece of bar is 8-5/16 inches long, the handle part is 2 inches high. The handle is welded 1-1/2 inches from the left side and 2-1/8 inches from the right side. That makes the handle about 4.6875 inches wide. It is made of 3/16" or 5mm stainless bar. You might want to measure that depression in your locker to see if those dimensions are similar to what you need. I'll try to get a drawing posted in the next couple days.

Good luck!

Thanks Craig.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That nifty little sliding handle is almost identical to the one on the Olson's. I believe that EY fabricated it from SS rod. Easy with a hydraulic bender and a pattern. More of a challenge for us average hobbyists!
Do-able, tho. With a perfect patten, I know of shops around here that could make one quickly, and would bet that there are some where you live, too.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It's Thursday!

Sinman,

Attached is my scanned "drawing" of my anchor latch measurements. If you can get your hands on some proper diameter stainless bar, you could substantially reduce time and cost to make one by just bending one up in a "U" shape and not worrying about the top (bottom?) of the "U." No welding required. You have the pattern for the radius of the bends built in to your locker lid. Let us know what you end up with.

View attachment Anchor_Locker_Latch_measurement.pdf

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it were me, I'd make a rubbing of the deck molding on paper and drop it off at a welding or machine shop.

They like this sort of little job. Having worked summers in such a place, it's more satisfying than welding angle iron for supermarket racks.

sinman

Good idea. I have some #4 copper wire in the garage. I will make a model out of that and take it to a welding shop along with Craig's drawing and a piece of 3/16 ss rod that I ordered from Amazon.