Anatomy of the Ericson 381 Tri-Axial Force Grid (TAFG)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Video describes the grid when revealed. Attention to run of hoses.

The gray tubing, the name of which I couldn't remember, is Qest.

Note re drainage of TAFG cells, or gaps: The drain tubes are PVC, or occasionally aluminum. If any come loose, bilge water becomes trapped inside the hollow structure itself, and cannot drain out.

Therefore some boats, like mine, have screw plugs in the TAFG structure, which when opened allow that "illegal" water to enter the bilge and be handled like regular bilge water. When I periodically unscrew my plugs some ancient water always comes out.

Worth noting that I had a full bilge flood recently, result of dripless shaft seal issue. It filled the TAFG sections to the brim, which would not happen under normal conditions in which the bilge is kept pumped nearly dry. All that water, which was there only about 24 hours, completed the ruination of my sole by soaking it from underneath, and demanded replacement.

The full report (40-minute video) on sole replacement is here.

Indexed at Thelonious Blog Table of Contents, here.

1-TAGF drain 1.JPG

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
We've had some good pics of the TAFG, but this is by far the best. Although limiting access form various cavities is not usually something we want to do, I think your on the right track with your approach. One thing I noticed in your video is how much area is already not accessible under the TAFG. The marginal gain of accessing those areas at the cost of complexity with the fastening system isn't really worth it. The exception being the area under the dining table with the hosing you pointed out. Good idea there too.