AMRO TWO, Moviestar

Kevlarpirate

Member II
Whoa Silver!!

Seth,

My message was that the J35 was NOT an IOR boat (obviously) . The static curve I have on the J35 shows a static limit of 109 and a very scary ratio of positive vs: negative area (under the curve) of 1.687 , (1987 USYRU). To put into perspective my NPT41 has a static limit of 132 and a very comfortable ratio of 7.5 also produced by USYRU I don’t have reason to doubt them. BTW the Newport was designed in 1970 or earlier. The initial righting moment for the J35 is much higher than the NPT as shown by the slope of the curve.
The righting arm peak of the J35 is at 50 deg., the NPT at 70. So the J is a stiffer boat . But then the J’s curve drops rapidly. In a big sea that’s bad. My point is; I consider the NPT curve MUCH more seaworthy. Considering a design date almost 20 years prior to the J. I think that says a lot.

As for the 1.34 X LWL, all boats are in the displacement mode until they are not, meaning in a transitional state. If you were to freeze the ocean and pluck the boat out of the sea and fill the hole with sea water , that water would weigh the weight of the boat sailing in displacement mode. If you are doing 18 kts in a 70 , I guarantee you are not displacing the weight of the boat in water, (much less) and so I called that planing. The pure definition of planing would be to displace no water at all. I should have said semi planning. As for the polars, Sorcery etc. I still am interested in the upwind VMG. No doubt boat speed is slower but it is a cosine thing.

I don’t know anything about the Clipper cup. But I do have one last thought and that is:
The OCC owns Alaska Eagle (which I meant to say in my first post) They trust the integrity of this 30 year old designed and built boat to go anywhere with passengers, I seriously doubt they would take the same liability with Pyewacket, even if they slowed her down.

KEV

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow! I just noticed the section at the bottom of this site and you can see all the Heavy Weights are on line for this heated discussion about engineering of sailing yachts. I don't think I am alone when I say you guys may have lost some of us Vikings with all that tech talk.:esad:

Attachments

• 40642-27.jpg
    40642-27.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71

Kevlarpirate

Member II
I am howling!

Martin,
I can't stop laughing! excellent story.
I dropped into your Dad's site the other day and he says he is retired.
Please send him my regards. Since I have brought the Mighty 46
into the LAYC, I have found that there are several followers of Bruce.
They call him the King and now so do I.
KEV

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
No Joke!

Hey Martin-
If ever this comes up in conversation again... tell any of the parties involved that it worked! :devil:

I guess the days are long gone when it's ok to name your boat "Terrorist"? The boat I used to race on would extend the sprit and trim for ramming speed if they ever saw that!

Kevlarpirate

Member II
Somthing interesting just for you!

Hypothetical of a 10kt boat and a 14 kt boat assuming the BAW is 22 deg on both boats. The 14 kt boat is forced to sail a lower course over the bottom then tack back. After an hour (in this example) she crosses 3.5 miles ahead and has lost a half mile VMG due to sailing lower and has had to sail an extra 1.25 miles and make a tack. Shows how the BTW opens up the faster you go.

Attachments

• VTW.jpg
    VTW.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 60