Am I going to the dark side?

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
First the situation: My E35-2 has had the boom shortened almost 3 feet. Also the traveler has been relocated to the companionway (you need to be careful coming on deck when underway!) I have the replacement boom and am soon to install it.
Now the dark side? the original traveler was located just in front of the wheel. A situation I see as not a lot better than it blocking the companionway. As it has been gone for decades, the space has been replaced with tables, interments and the like. So the thought has come to mind that the guys at HUNTER may have got it right when they moved it onto a tower above the cockpit. Also, I am conflicted as I dearly want to preserve the perfect lines of the boat, but also like the idea of the tower and dodger and bimini etc.
Before I commit to drastically changing the silhouette of my boat I would like to elicit the thoughts of the brain-trust on the relative merits and pitfalls of such an undertaking. So go ahead Shoot! :egrin: Edd

Glyn Judson

Boom issue.

Edd, I can't offer much of an opinion regarding the Hunter tower choice but do remember offering one years ago to the effect that I would be suspect of a boat manufacturer offering any model equipped with a roll bar (joke). On a serious vein, should you decide to keep the traveler where it now is assuming that the loads on the longer boom would tolerate it, you might want to consider something I've done with the same situation on our boat. When away from our slip, usually at Catalina Island on a mooring I move the main sheet to starboard (or port) and attach it to a D-car on the Genoa track by means of a permanently attached bronze snap shackle. With the shackle always below the main sheet fiddle block, it's a simple matter of moving the entire assembly, sheet and boom out of the way for complete ease of access when not in use. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Guy Stevens

An arch is a heavy thing..

There are a lot of design issues here..

First lets take a look at the hull form of the two boat, your 35 and any of the hunters with the arch. The stern of the hunters is much broader, with much smaller overhangs. The buoyancy of that stern is part of what supports the weight of that arch.

All of the added arches for either Solar Panels, Travelers, Radar etc that I have seen placed on boats have three very negative effects. The first is that since the hull shape was never designed to have excess weight located that far aft, the boats no longer float on their lines. In some cases this causes major issues with storage in the aft lockers no longer being usable for anything, other than toilet paper storage, and can cause the boat to handle poorly without any of the other factors. They tend to weather cock the boat when sailing inducing some weather helm that further makes the boat sail poorly, and lastly they all detract from the lines of the boat by looking like a stainless steel oil derrick on the stern.

My recommendation, put the traveler back where it was designed to go.

Place the instruments on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit, or in a nav pod over the companionway. The boat is going to be easier to sail, faster, and look pretty like an Ericson should.

Guy
:)

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Mmmm...go to the Dark Side do you young Skywalker...always with you what cannot be done...try not!...do!...or do not...there is no "try"...mmm-hmmm...

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Let me get this straight. You changed the length of the boom and
thereby the sail plan for an E35, one of the most beautifully balanced
helms ever on a production boat? And now you are looking to Hunter
for design cues such as a rollbar? This is a joke, right?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Let me get this straight. You changed the length of the boom and
thereby the sail plan for an E35, one of the most beautifully balanced
helms ever on a production boat? And now you are looking to Hunter
for design cues such as a rollbar? This is a joke, right?

Actually, I got the impression that this was done by a prior owner and the current owner is restoring things...
LB

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Actually, I got the impression that this was done by a prior owner and the current owner is restoring things...
LB

Sorry, I misread his post. It's just as Guy said. The instruments go
on the bulkhead, and the traveler goes back in front of the wheel
where the helmsman can get to it if need be. As Glyn suggested, if
the sheet is in the way at anchor, unclip it and take it to a car outboard
on the rail. Adding an arch will definitely spoil the lines of that
pretty boat.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Well that is resounding and from all the names I most respect! @Martin: Your first post was my thought when I bought the boat... Why would anyone chop up the boom! The answer I got was that it was originally raced extensively and the smaller mainsail capability gave it a better handicap and since it mostly ran in the SF Bay the hinds usually called for a reef anyway so it was a net advantage because the boat would still balance well with a bigger head sail and smaller main. I guess it worked as the boat is covered with first place placards from 1972 to the early 90's. It has been my experience that the boat is VERY forgiving and loves to run no mater what rags are on the pole. It will easily do 8 and if you work at it 9 knots, much more than I believe it should.
I am restoring its ability to carry its intended main, as I expect to take it on an open ended cruise in the next couple years and want to be comfortable in the widest range of wind as possible. As I guess the Admiral will come along I am looking also to keep as much peace as possible as well and She Hates the traveler where it is so it is moving but back to its original location probably won"t make her happy either. Compromise is often the smart way out. I guess I needed to know where to put my foot down and have a ready reason why! Thanks guys.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Mmmm...Guy Stevens and Martin King...powerful Jedis are they...do well to heed them you would...Mmmm-Hmmm...

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Edd,

I don't think you or your wife will find the original traveler position to be a problem. On my E27 with end of boom sheeting I just travel the mainsheet to one side and it is out of the way enough. Also I hook the main halyard to the aft end of the boom and lift it way up.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Edd,

I don't think you or your wife will find the original traveler position to be a problem. On my E27 with end of boom sheeting I just travel the mainsheet to one side and it is out of the way enough.

In addition to moving the traveler to the side we also rig a preventer at anchor to keep the boom from swinging in swells.

-Sven

steven

Sustaining Member
I find pretty much the only drawback of the traveler aft is challenge of getting a Bimini to cover the skipper. When sailing I usually sit forward of the wheel anyway, so the problem is only for extended motoring (which unfortunately is likely on the Chesapeake in late summer).

But lots of positives of having the mainsheet aft, especially for short handed sailing. For example, in a light wind jibe, just grab a handful of the mainsheets between the blocks and yank the whole thing over (like a dinghy). Or in heavier winds, playing the traveler without the help of crew. Also, of course, doesn't stress the boom in them middle.

I've thought of moving it to solve the Bimini issue, but always come back to thinking that where it is (aft) is the best solution.

--Steve

CaptDan

Member III
It will easily do 8 and if you work at it 9 knots, much more than I believe it should.

It's been my experience that - with trimmed sails, clean bottom, the right conditions and cooperating wind, the E35II will do 8-9+ on a close reach
any day of the week.

And with stock spars, too. :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The traveler is definitely going aft as God (Bruce King) intended it. The only Question would then be is it worth the extra weight and probable funky look to raise it to allow for the Bimini and cockpit table etc. and get it out from under foot while sailing. I had not considered the weight issue, but suspected it would be offset by that all chain rode that is on my Christmas list. Also since the wife WANTS the dodger and Bimini anyway, the aesthetics issue is already present. With tasteful engineering it might be doable. I don't like the idea of dragging a tent around on the back of my boat, but if I gotta, then should it not be as functional as possible? I see all these cruiser boats with there sterns loaded down with so much clutter and look at the beauty of my simple classic clean lines and swear mine will never become that, but then finding room and making everything work together is a difficult comprise. There is much improvement in the function and space of my boat from when i first bought her. the cabinets used to be access to the plumbing and wires. with a bit of work (Sometimes a lot of work) all that hose is now neatly in a corner next to a wall and there is room to store things that make life aboard pleasant. As much as possible all the boats inner workings have been moved to the wasted and otherwise unusable areas. So now lies the conflict as I can see the idea as continuing to increase function, OR destroying all the extra work that made the boat livable by only cleaning up the compromises made to make production easier while keeping it looking and sailing as it did when it was new. The question I know seems silly but it has come after much thought and argument within. I know it is probably wrong, but there are benefits I can't deny and I am truly stuck for arguments against it. (both Guy and Martin saying NO is the best one I have found so far!) Edd

EGregerson

Member III
boom

Your 35 i think is a simlar hull to my '87 34; so balance points should be comparable; why not a traveller in front (meaning forward ...) of the companionway, ala...

Attachments

• E34 02a.JPG
    E34 02a.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Totally different boat

The 35-2 has no similarity to your vintage of E boat. It is from the 70's and had a completely different design brief..:egrin:

And Exodus, just consider that if you have a bunch of chain up front, you are not really offsetting it with weight aft. In fact,you are adding to the pitching moment by having weight in both ends of the boat, and this will have an adverse affect in a seaway. Just sayin'-the boat will pitch more the more you have wight in both ends....

Cheers

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Seth, Good point. My wife's solution: add more to the middle! I guess it does not have to sail if it floats. She wants to be at all the exotic places, it is me who wants to sail to them. Now that I think about it, that is precisely my conflict. New thread: How do you keep the Admiral happy and wiling to reduce her world to a 35x10 box so you can brave the high seas? Edd