Am I crazy to consider doing this fiberglass work myself?

PkandLisa

My cockpit sole needs a serious repair - an area around the steering pedestal needs to be replaced because of delamination and rot. When I bought the boat I got a quote for the work in Boston - I've since brought the boat to Virginia and have a quote that is significantly higher. I'm thinking the shop in Boston underestimated it in the 10 minutes he spent looking it over.

So, this quote is high enough that I'm exploring the option of doing the work myself. This means many weekends of working on the boat, but winter is coming anyway.

Sorting through various threads I see that other people have tackled large projects such as this (I was impressed by the bulkhead replacement work!) - so, am I crazy?

It would entail removing the steering pedestal and redoing an area about 4 feet by 2 feet (replacing the core in this area).

I'm a handy person, have some friends that have done fiberglass work, but have never dealt with gelcoat or non-skid.

As I said, I'm in the early stages of looking into this (have read through my fiberglass section of my "Modern Boat Maintenance" book) and would appreciate some input.

Thank you,
Parker:esad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Various ways to approach it...

If you decide that the nonskid is worn/smoothed out enough in this "high traffic" area, you could justify doing the work from the top. Take off the glass top layer, carve out the bad balsa, lay in new coring, make sure that all areas pierced by any holes are solid glass, and put down new layers of glass. Then paint with LPU and add a glass bead nonskip surface after carefull masking off...
Many good books can tell you about how to get a good finish this way.

Plan B would be to keep the top intact, and work from underneath. On my boat I can look up at the whole cockpit sole area from the bunk in the aft cabin. Many other boats have this area all or partly obstructed by tankage and/or machinery. You still end up laying on your back to do the work and having all the debris and wet epoxy fall down on your face...
:(

As to the work itself, I view it as well within what a patient and thoughtfull owner can do. Your result should be better-detailed that what the yard can produce for a reasonable cost. These kind of jobs are all "time and materials" -- the more time you can invest (or pay for), the better the result.
:rolleyes:

One thing you can do that the yard might not routinely do is strengthen this area with some extra layers of cloth when you finish up. If you have ever noticed any flexing at all, this is the opportunity to fix it.

Best of luck,

Loren

Last edited:

Bill Robbins

Member II
Just a quick note of support,
Like Loren said, if you take your time, read enough and ask enough questions from the right people, you can do this.
Also, when I replaced the main bulkhead in my e-35, I did all the work at a yard that was friendly to "do it yourselfers" Each day the fiberglass guy came by to check up on me, give me advise and encouragement. After demolition, getting the new bulkhead fitted, and cutting the glass to be used, the fiberglass guy helped me glass it in. In all the yard charged my 0.5 hours for "consultation" and 1.5 hours for the help with the glass. What I learned in that 1.5 hours with a pro was worth the education in fiberglassing,and the job ended up great too. I paid a lot more for taking Calculus in college, I am getting more use out of the 1.5 hours at Svensons Boat Yard!

PkandLisa

I'm Doing It!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'll be taking on the job myself. I found a friendly to do-it-yourselfers yard that can provide guidance when I need it.

Looking forward to putting my summary up in the Owners' Projects section this spring!