Alerion 28 on eBay

Bardo

Member II
I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of sailing an Alerion 28, but I have. It is nicest sailor I have ever sailed in that size range. They typically run 40k plus (80k new). There is one on eBAY now, with a delaminating hull. Its balsa core and wet over probably half of the hull. Anyone had to grind and re-glass a balsa hull before? This boat would be well worth it at its current price. I wonder what the cost of having the work done would run?:rolleyes:

CaptDan

Member III
I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of sailing an Alerion 28, but I have. It is nicest sailor I have ever sailed in that size range. They typically run 40k plus (80k new). There is one on eBAY now, with a delaminating hull. Its balsa core and wet over probably half of the hull. Anyone had to grind and re-glass a balsa hull before? This boat would be well worth it at its current price. I wonder what the cost of having the work done would run?:rolleyes:

A better question would be: why is such a relatively newish boat already suffering delamination?

The Alerion 28 is a fine looking vessel and from what I've read, seems an excellent sailer as you say. But unless a delaminated specimen could be purchased for about <$15K, the buyer would have to either be skilled enough to perform the repair, or have another $15K available as a down payment for a yard to do the job for him.:confused:

Just my take; I could be wetter than that Alerion's cored hull.:nerd:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aler...arms=72:317|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ht_500wt_1120

I got to take a demo sail on one of these a few years ago on SF Bay.
I would just love to have one, but this boat looks like a huge project and I suspect that the yard bill would be huge, also... :rolleyes:

1992 must be an early model. I wonder when they started molding these out with the SCRIMP process?

Anyhow, they sail like a dream. Perfect single hander.

Loren

ps: apropos of whatever, I am sure glad that all of the Olson 34's built by Ericson were solid lay up hulls.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Great for parts. The Yanmar alone is worth as much or more than the min bid.

BTW, those look like brochure photos.

CaptDan

Member III
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aler...arms=72:317|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ht_500wt_1120

I wonder when they started molding these out with the SCRIMP process?

Loren

ps: apropos of whatever, I am sure glad that all of the Olson 34's built by Ericson were solid lay up hulls.

Sometime last year, Sail Mag did a story on Pearson Industries and the SCRIMP process. I may have recycled my issue but if I come across it I'll let you know.

Definately something to be said for solid layup, but opinions vary I'm sure.

In any event, if this Alerion sells for less than $10K, and to the right person (blessed with temperment, skill and know-how), it'll be a good deal for somebody.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
to scrimp or not to scrimp

I sent the for-sale link over to a friend that has been building and repairing boats for 40 years for any commentary....
His comment:
"Just to note: Scrimp is no assurance that the boat will be good and in fact
it may be some assurance that it won't. In the old days when the glass was
laid on by hand the person doing the work could see it he was wetting out
the glass and getting a good bond to the core -- with scrimp it is all done in
the bag and the bag is on the inside of the core and glass. The part you
can't see is the glass on the outside of the core and when it is all done
the problem is hiding behind the gel coat."

I guess that I had always assumed that the newer high-tech layup method was better, beyond reducing labor in the production process. Maybe not!
:rolleyes:

He specifically would not comment on the labor ($$) that such a repair might need!

LB

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
sold

Bidding ended at $9072. Someone got a really good deal, or.... they paid about what it was worth...
:p

LB

Emerald

Worst case they could buy a cutter rigged Independence 31 and reuse the mainsail. I'm quite happily using a main from one of these without modification on Emerald :devil: