Air Conditioning on 32-200? Ideas sought...

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We had a brutally hot and humid summer here in the Great Lakes. After spending a week out over 4th of July, with no wind
and hotter than blazes we, the Admiral and I, decided to go with one of the 'portable' A/C units, which for a home, you can roll from room to room. they have about a 3 - 4 inch exhaust tube that needs a place to exhaust to. I was thinking about building a new bottom hatch board on my 32, with a port in place to hook the exhaust hose to. I would place it just at the
port side of the companionway stairs, by the port side quarter-berth. this way it isn't on the top of the boat. I have a Honda eu2000 and would place it on the bow with foam or rubber underneath to help deaden the vibration on the deck and to keep it from sliding. The interior of the boat isn't that big and I think it would cool well enough to at least make it bearable.

This is the one we've been using since last season. It too has a large exhaust hose coming out the rear that we have to vent out either a port or a hatch. It's just ok, not great, as it requires emptying and it is hard to stow under way.
LG-ac.jpg

scourge

Member II
This is the one we've been using since last season. It too has a large exhaust hose coming out the rear that we have to vent out either a port or a hatch. It's just ok, not great, as it requires emptying and it is hard to stow under way.
LG-ac.jpg

Did you also state that you can't get it to drain into the bilge, or was that someone else? I am curious as to why. It would seem that there should be a hose connection on the condensation tank, (I'm guessing) and that something could be set up to drain into the bilge.
How often do you need to drain the condensation tank?