Aft Fuel Locker?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Our 89 32-200 has a built in fuel locker under the starboard aft lazerette. It appears to be molded for a propane tank although there wasn't one there when we purchased the boat (our cooking setup is an Origo alcohol stove/oven).

Ive often thought about converting to propane when the time comes to replace our Origo or even using the propane for the Magmaa grill, eliminating the need for small green bottles. Can anyone tell me what fuel tank this was designed for?

We currently use the space for extra dock lines and have considered cutting out the tank mold to gain more storage like we have on the port side aft.

Thanks
Rick

Blue Chip

Member III
aft locker.

Our 89 32-200 has a built in fuel locker under the starboard aft lazerette. It appears to be molded for a propane tank although there wasn't one there when we purchased the boat (our cooking setup is an Origo alcohol stove/oven).

Ive often thought about converting to propane when the time comes to replace our Origo or even using the propane for the Magmaa grill, eliminating the need for small green bottles. Can anyone tell me what fuel tank this was designed for?

We currently use the space for extra dock lines and have considered cutting out the tank mold to gain more storage like we have on the port side aft.

Thanks
Rick

Our 90 32-200 came hat way to. It's a standard propane tank that ran the stove. , much like the ones you'd use on your grillmaster bar B que. Had gauges on top and was taken out and refilled back in the day. We took it out and use the space, but kept the tank for resale later. Like to keep everything the oaot came with for the next guy

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is the way I installed propane on my E-34. The tank is a standard 10 or 11 # steel tank. They come in aluminum also, but I am in un-salted water. The line with the red handled valve goes to my stern grill with a low pressure valve, no regulator.

FWIW, I found that the tanks are much cheaper at a local gas company or on line than at a marine store.

Attachments

• Propane locker 003 (Medium).jpg
    Propane locker 003 (Medium).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 92

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Also FWIW, I picked up a horizontal 20lb tank because I thought that it would fit better into the space available. (It does.) But it turns out that you can only put 10 lbs into it before the internal float valve closes. Also on the E29, there is a lot of empty, inaccessible space under the starboard cockpit seat and above the fuel tank. With a bit of surgery, this looks like a good place for a fiberglass propane locker. So far, I haven't felt up to that much cutting. I'd want to make darned sure that such a thing would fit before I started ripping up the cockpit.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
This is the way I installed propane on my E-34. The tank is a standard 10 or 11 # steel tank. They come in aluminum also, but I am in un-salted water. The line with the red handled valve goes to my stern grill with a low pressure valve, no regulator.

I like the shock chord idea! Why shock chord instead of a stronger more static and durable line?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I like the shock chord idea! Why shock chord instead of a stronger more static and durable line?

I wasn't really worried about the tank flying around, and with the shock cord I felt that there would be less rattling in a seaway than with a fixed, or no lashing.

There is not much room for putting your hands along side of the tank for connecting straps or tightening them.

In the final analysis, after many years of engineering experience some of which in product development, I decided to use parts that I already had on the boat. :thinker:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Fuel line

Tom,

Where does the line to the grill exit the locker? Also, can you share how the line to the galley is run?

Thanks
Rick

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Where does the line to the grill exit the locker? Also, can you share how the line to the galley is run?

The gas line exits the transom with a clam shell vent filled with glop to seal it. You can see it in the pix.

The line to the galley runs on the shelf in the aft cabin, down through the hanging locker, and out to the gambaled stove.

I hope you appreciate my driving 250 miles round trip to get the pix in today's snow. :0

Attachments

• Grill gas supply 2.jpg
    Grill gas supply 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 83
  • ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 05 17.14.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 05 17.14.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 63

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
The gas line exits the transom with a clam shell vent filled with glop to seal it. You can see it in the pix.

The line to the galley runs on the shelf in the aft cabin, down through the hanging locker, and out to the gambaled stove.

I hope you appreciate my driving 250 miles round trip to get the pix in today's snow. :0

I saw the snow in the earlier pics! Even saw your shoe...lol! Is that a deck/snow shoe? I thought I saw black soles too.

Come on down to Florida and I'll take you sailing, but no black shoes.....lol!

I thought that if I ran gas to the galley, I'd have to go the same route on the shelf, through the hanging locker and to the stove. I think our Origo smart canisters will need replaced soon and that's when I may jump to the world of LP..:tongue:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I saw the snow in the earlier pics! Even saw your shoe...lol! Is that a deck/snow shoe? I thought I saw black soles too. Come on down to Florida and I'll take you sailing, but no black shoes.....lol!

On Xanthus in January and February these are the official footwear. Your invitation has been accepted. I sent you a private message detailing where you should have your boat to pick me up for a sail. I do have beer, but the boots stay in the trunk.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
On Xanthus in January and February these are the official footwear. Your invitation has been accepted. I sent you a private message detailing where you should have your boat to pick me up for a sail. I do have beer, but the boots stay in the trunk.

PM sent!

We did the Miami boat show last year, fantastic!