Access to Diesel Fill Line '87 E35 MKiii

R F Pezzoli

My diesel fill line is cracked and needs replacing. Accessing the tank connection is uncomplicated. Accessing the deck plate is problematic. The deck flange is not large enough to cove a whole which will permit the removal from the outside of the fill hose and clamps. Access to the clamps seems next to impossible from the stern lazarett, unless your arms are 5 ft long. It does seem possible to remove a bulkhead panel in the quarter berth to gain access to the underside of the fill hardware. Is that the way to do this?

Thank you.

Bob Pezzoli

Swept Away

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hi Bob,

It can be done! I replaced ours when we got our boat years ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I was able to reach the deck fill from the inside from the aft lazarette. I couldn't see what I was doing, but could feel around enough. Likely lots of swearing and dropped tools.

With the above said, since then I added a round beckson cutout to the port cockpit side. It was actually to reach some instrument wiring, but also works to get to the back of the deck fill if needed.

Good luck!

R F Pezzoli

Hi Bob,

It can be done! I replaced ours when we got our boat years ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I was able to reach the deck fill from the inside from the aft lazarette. I couldn't see what I was doing, but could feel around enough. Likely lots of swearing and dropped tools.

With the above said, since then I added a round beckson cutout to the port cockpit side. It was actually to reach some instrument wiring, but also works to get to the back of the deck fill if needed.

Good luck!

Thanks Cory.