Abby's EPIRBS were manually activated by her

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
From Abby's Blog Site.

http://soloround.blogspot.com

We spoke with Abby early this morning and learned that she had had a very rough day with winds up to 60 knots and seas 20-25 feet. She had been knocked down several times but was handling things well. The wind had subsided to around 35 knots which she and Wild Eyes are quite comfortable with.

We were helping her troubleshoot her engine that she was trying to start to charge her systems. Satellite phone reception was patchy. She was able to get the water out of the engine and start her up. We were waiting to hear back from her when American Search & Rescue authorities called to report having received a signal from her emergency beacon (EPIRB). We initially thought that the signal was sent automatically from her water-activated EPIRB and that it had been activated during one of her knockdowns. As we pulled the paperwork from her EPIRB registration, we learned that the signal had come from her manually activated EPIRB.

We were referred to Australian Search & Rescue and while we were on the phone with them another signal came in from her handheld PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Her water-activated EPIRB has not been activated so we are hopeful that the boat is still upright.

We are working closely with American, French and Australian Search & Rescue authorities to coordinate several ships in the area to divert to her location. There are several ships in her area, the earliest possible contact is 40 hours. We are actively seeking out some sort of air rescue but this is difficult due to the remoteness of her location. Australian Search & Rescue have arranged to have a Quantas Airbus fly over her location at first light (she is 11 hours later). They will not be able to help her other than to talk via marine radio if they are able to get close enough. Hopefully, they will be able to assess her situation and report back to us.

Abby has all of the equipment on board to survive a crisis situation like this. She has a dry suit, survival suit, life raft, and ditch bag with emergency supplies. If she can keep warm and hang on, help will be there as soon as possible. Wild Eyes is designed for travel in the Southern Ocean and is equipped with 5 air-tight bulkheads to keep her buoyant in the event of major hull damage. It is built to Category 0 standards and is designed to self-right in the event of capsize.

Thank you for all of your kind emails and calls. We appreciate your prayers and support.

We will update as soon as there is some news.

Laurence, Marianne and Team Abby

IslandTime29

Member II
Prayer said and will continue to say them.
Such an incredible undertaking for anyone, especially a 16 year old. Good for her. I pray for a safe landfall.

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Hopeful scenario

Abby Sunderland is believed to be 'alive' and 'most likely floating' in the Indian Ocean
June 10, 2010 | 3:43 pm

The engineer behind Abby Sunderland's solo trip around the world says he believes the 16-year-old Thousand Oaks sailor is "alive" and "most likely floating" in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Speaking to a throng of reporters outside the family's home, Jeff Casher said he spoke to her at 3:45 a.m. Thursday, then lost contact after she went to check on some equipment on her boat. About an hour later, she apparently activated her emergency beacons – devices that sent automatic alerts to the Coast Guard and her family.

Casher said the family is looking at three possible scenarios. Either the boat's mast came down, giving her no ability to sail the vessel; the keel hit something and possibly flipped the boat upside down; or she may have broken an arm or leg while being whipsawed about in violent waters.

"She set this off not because she lost communication, but because something else was wrong," Casher said. They had set very clear guidelines for when to activate emergency beacons – and losing communication alone was not enough, he said.

Casher said the high school junior has the mental fitness to make it through this. Her brother, Zac, made a solo trip around the world when he was 17.

Abby Sunderland apparently was a little rattled when the boat's motor wouldn't work Thursday morning. But, Casher said, "The moment the engine started, she was her same old self – perky and tough.… She's just as tough, or tougher, as most of the cruisers we've met."

The family is hopeful that a Qantas Airbus, commissioned by the Australian government, will be able to spot her at daylight – about 10 or 11 p.m. Pacific time.

Water temperatures are about 54 or 55 degrees, Cash said, describing it as cold, but survivable. Sunderland had equipment on board to survive a crisis, including a dry suit and life boat.

Sven

Seglare
She's OK !

"Airbus 320 made VHF radio contact with Abby she is in Boat...

Boat has been de masted and she is ok in good sprits......"

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hooray! I knew Abby was going to make it!

Hooray! I knew Abby was going to make it!

:egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin::clap::clap::clap::clap:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ood-spirits-awaiting-rescue-in-indian-ocean/1

I am so disappointed to hear people criticizing Abby Sunderland and her Family for embarking on her dream and challenge. Parents and teens make the decision all the time to go on to football fields with the possibilities of injury or worse. Let alone driving at age 16. It's a lot safer at sea than on the freeways.

Meanolddad

Member III
Very well said Jeff, I could not have put it into words any better. I was quite relieved when I heard they had found Abby.
We need to encourage our children, not coddle them. I know a woman that travels the world on motorcycles and her biggest complaint is when she is leaving everyone tells her to be careful. Rarely does she ever hear "have fun".
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Counter Point.

I was listening to the NPR news on Abby this am. There was a representative from US Sailing Association speaking who made some good points.

He said that long distance single handed sailing is very dangerous from a couple of points. 1) Is fatigue, and 2) is not having that second set of hands or eyes when you need it. Then there's also the chance of injury or falling over board with no one to help.

He also said that many more single handed sailors are lost than are boats with crews. He also pointed out how dangerous and expensive rescues are. I think those are valid criticisms.

I single hand a lot. Even when I have been at the helm for only seven hours or so with a auto pilot I have got fatigued. I remember doing 17 hours straight one time, mostly motoring up the coast from San Diego without the auto pilot. That was really tiring.

Sven

Seglare
Jeff, I too agree with you.

Staying in the box serves no useful purpose for humankind, you just take up space and resources and run down the clock.

With that said, it has to be the doer who wants to do it. If there is a hint that the parents are pushing, misguiding or convincing the child to take the risk all bets are off. No, I am not saying that either Abby or Jessica fall into that category but there have been times when I have wondered.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
If there is a hint that the parents are pushing, misguiding or convincing the child to take the risk all bets are off.

Statements like this is what I'm talking about:

She gave up the goal of setting the record in April, but continued, hoping to complete the journey.

Laurence Sunderland said Friday that he "gave her the option" of bowing out at that point in her trek

His statement seems to make it clear that she didn't know that she could call it quits any time she didn't feel good about what she was doing. It wasn't obvious to her that her parents would have thought it perfectly ok for her to quit at that point.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I heard she may have to be on that fishing boat for a while and possibly work because it's a working boat. Reminds me a little of "Captains Courageous".

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow Loren, that sheds a different light on things and seems to be more of a complete story than a lot of the general media has been conveying.

I have been looking at the photos of the running back stays for a while now and wondering why they would be the choice for a circumnavigation.

What I still want to know is, where is her boat "Wild Eyes" now? Adrift? Scuttled?

My opinion has now been swayed a bit.

SurabyaKid

Member III
The Sailing Anarchy website thread on this is over 180 pages and interesting, although, like the rest of Anarchy, not for the faint of heart.

Pat

Sven

Seglare
What I still want to know is, where is her boat "Wild Eyes" now? Adrift? Scuttled?

Adrift. I don't have the link handy where that statement was made. I brought that up on anther forum in the context of what I thought was a legal obligation to not leave a hazard to navigation.

-Sven