A4 shift cable mounting for E29

dave_g

Member II
On my '71 E29, a PO mounted the shift cable to the rear engine compartment bulkhead. It appears that flexing of the bulkhead weakend it and the bulkhead is starting to crack. I am fixing the bulkhead but I would like to mount the shift cable directly to the engine.

How were the shift cables originally mounted on the E29's? Is there is a bracket on the engine? What does it look like?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

rgoff

Member III
Just happened to be on my E27 with my digital camera while reading your post.

My E27 has a piece of angle iron (L shape) that bolts to the transmission case top (in 2 places). The picture shows it well. It's the black thing to the right of the shift lever. However, it doesn't show how the cable is attached at the other end. Too much stuff for me to move to get a pix of this. :)

a4bracket.jpg

Good luck,

Dave G

Member II
Cable Bracket

I have a 1971 E29 also. The baracket on mine is very similar to the picture in the previous post for the E27. Mine was replaced with a stainless steel bracket which eleminates the corresion problem.

Dave
'71 E29
Spirit

dave_g

Member II
Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. The photo helps a lot. I will strengthen the bulkhead and make a similar bracket using stainless angle stock.

Dave