A Viking Boat or Pseudo Ericson

Solo

Solo
The Ericson Forum and its members are a fantastic community! I'd like to shout out in particular to Christian W. who has been both a fountain of knowledge and an inspirational sailor. I joined the forum as I narrowed my search down to an Ericson, Pacific Seacraft, and Hallberg-Rassy. I had been looking for a vessel in the 30-36 foot range and even contemplated going to 38 feet. This forum was invaluable during my search process and raised my level of awareness of what to look for during the inspection and purchase process.

In the end, I did not find the right Ericson at the right price, and instead, settled on a 2003 Hallberg-Rassy HR31 that was impossible to pass up. While not an Ericson, she's got the Viking DNA and is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Finding a reasonably priced Swedish boat on the US West Coast is not easy. Finding one on the smaller end of the scale is harder still.

I found Bon Secour in Essex, CT. She's a two owner boat that enjoyed the ease of the East Coast sailing season under light use. During the off season, she was plastic wrapped and on the hard. There are only 600 hours on the original motor, and after complete surveys of the hull, engine, and rigging, I called her mine and embarked on a 4 month refit to address some deferred maintenance and made improvements to suit my needs.

As of two days ago, she now sits in Marina Del Rey, CA and will be my home while working in Los Angeles. Her new name is Ronin (literally meaning "wave man"). I hope to put many miles under her keel over the next 2-3 years, before setting off on a RTW single-handed sail. I expect to contribute to this forum and give back in some way all that this community has shared with me. Thank you all.

Fair Winds and Warm Sun20161005_075059.jpg20170205_124831.jpg

View attachment 214641rotate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A good friend owns an E-38 nowadays, but many years ago owned an HR-31 (or it might have been a 30. I forget). He still talks about what a fine boat it was.
Congratulations on finding such a pretty boat!

The view inside is very much like our layout, but with a lot more teak! Your nav desk and galley are just opposite of ours. The aft head and aft cabin are opposite ours, as well.
We love that interior arrangement.
Yours even has a solid-looking centerline table with fold down leaves, like us.
Beam is identical. Displacement is listed at 9900# vs our 10600#.

Last edited: