A reminder about caution

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I was sailing solo today, going 6.5 knots in a12 knot breeze, heeled about 15 degrees, a beautiful sail.
I put on the handbrake for a brief trip below, but on returning to the cockpit the wind had shifted enough to begin an accidental jibe. I grabbed the boom as it came across to prevent it slamming, and was able to slow it somewhat, but my wedding ring got caught on some boom fitting and took a moment to get free. After readjusting everything, I noticed my very sore finger and on checking my ring, noticed it was actually bent out of its round shape. How do I explain that to my wife!!
So just a reminder that a ring, watch, neck chain, ankle bracelet or other jewelry can cause serious injury, and probably doesn't belong on a sailboat.
Frank

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi,
I was sailing solo today, going 6.5 knots in a12 knot breeze, heeled about 15 degrees, a beautiful sail.
I put on the handbrake for a brief trip below, but on returning to the cockpit the wind had shifted enough to begin an accidental jibe. I grabbed the boom as it came across to prevent it slamming, and was able to slow it somewhat, but my wedding ring got caught on some boom fitting and took a moment to get free. After readjusting everything, I noticed my very sore finger and on checking my ring, noticed it was actually bent out of its round shape. How do I explain that to my wife!!
So just a reminder that a ring, watch, neck chain, ankle bracelet or other jewelry can cause serious injury, and probably doesn't belong on a sailboat.
Frank
Glad that worked out for you.

I have come to regard my wheel brake with substantial mistrust. Locking the rudder at speed seems to yield for me the outcome you experienced.

gstepler

Member I
Sounds like a close call, and glad the only damage was a sore finger and some bent metal (not to minimize the import of the metal).

When I was in college there was a member of the student body who had recently lost a finger after being "de-gloved"; the unofficial description for the ring getting caught on an immovable object while gravity does what it does to the wearer. The after-action picture made a lasting impression, to say the least. While not a ring-wearer before getting married, once I was one of the first things I did when I got onboard my ship was to take my wedding ring off and leave it with my wallet and keys in a drawer. No need for any of those things out at sea, and my wife wasn't around to give me grief for not wearing it. That habit has continued to this day where I don't wear it when working around the house, or at work (commercial construction/industrial environments).

Last edited:

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The number of people who lose a ring finger from catching their ring on moving objects is enough to consider leaving it on the dresser for the day or purchase one of the new rubber rings popular with mechanics and adventurer's.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
When married, my wedding ring came off when we'd launch to a job due to knowing people who'd lost fingers. A lot of people have switched to the silicone rings because the new versions look good but will tear away if in a situation like yours.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I'll throw a recent experience out there too. Totally my own fault and fortunate that nothing came of it beyond embarrassment of onlookers seeing my difficulty. I back into a narrow slip that has pilings to the left and right of the bow and it can be tight to pull forward and turn stbd to get out if there is any wind behind me pushing.

Had a person aboard on her second time on a boat and she was on the port foredeck. We had a stiff breeze from the aft (slightly port quarter) so cast off the stbd lines, had her release the bow port line and drop it down the hatch, put the boat in gear at idle, I relased the aft port line, and we were off as she happily bounced back into the aft left corner of the cockpit. We were doing fine bumping in and out of gear but before the right winch reached the right bow piling and with the wind behind I decided to throw a line on the piling to help pivot right. Done it before, especially solo, and it works great to just give a bit of drag to that side of the boat when the wind is stiff and from behind.

The bow came around to the right as planned till damn if the line didn't snag on the piling. The surprise was that the bow kept on coming right as the wind seemed to catch & push the bimini forward out of the slip, we were in neutral, we keep slowly pivoting right, and all too fast I'm watching the anchor of the neighbor boat look like it was going to impale us in slow motion. She would never have the strength to effectively fend off and she was in the aft left, so I told her to just hold the wheel (straight) as I jumped forward to fend off as we swung on the snagged line toward the anchor.

Ooops. She just did the 101 sailing class with tiller boats and saw us moving right, so moved the wheel right just like you'd do with a tiller - causing us to go faster TOWARD the anchor with me now in the middle. Now she was flustered and as I muscled us to prevent contact - in my calmest voice (not feeling it inside) - I said "Please turn the other way now" because (A) I am suspecting we are in gear and (B) what she did was obviously backward even if she didn't realize it and I hadn't picked up right away. Fortunately about this point the snagged line popped loose from the piling and the boat slowly motored forward which was when I realized I'd not gotten it into neutral. That's what actually set up the whole scene, as the snagged line alone would have simply held us at an angle between the rows of docks.

A missed shift, snagged line, noob who should not have been called upon, and not realizing her action was backward fast enough. These were a number of mistakes and ALL were on my part leading to a stern blow by blow self-critique as the adrenaline wore off. On a big boat, I couldn't have muscled us away from that anchor and would've stepped aside as it hit due to my mistakes. Fortunately no damage, we had a wonderful rest of the weekend, and I greased the return into the slip.

Accidents are almost always a chain of events, not a single item, & we all occasionally have a bad launch or return so maybe this one will help one of you mentally game yourself with some "what-ifs" and think about how you'd react. Missed that the boat was in gear at the worst time? Have something snag? Miss that an order is executed backward?

As Yul Brynner would've said "Etcetera etcetera etcetera"

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I was a freelance commercial photographer when I started sailing (retired now) and it was important to keep my hands and fingers in good shape so I could make fine adjustments on my cameras. So, to that end I always wear sailing gloves with cut-out fingers at the ends, even when leaving and coming into the slip, and I always wear "full cover" gloves most of the time when working on the boat. It's so easy to cut yourself open, or get a rope burn and I can get a better grip on things with the sailing gloves on. Plus, they cover up my wedding band from being snagged. I can't get the damn wedding band off now because after 25 years of marriage I'm "bigger". It must of been my wife's cooking and her plan all along to keep the band from coming off. :egrin:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
In my experience a slamming-over boom will not hurt the boat, and is an accident bound to happen.

Trying to stop it is unnecessary in any real wind, and I brief crews not to try.
I am an inexperienced sailor and I previously read too much into these kinds of "will not hurt the boat" comments. My boom does not have (did not have) 1/2" of reinforcing steel plates protecting the forward attachment end of the boom as Christian's boat has. In the middle of the night 5 miles off the coast of Santa Cruz, in 35 knots and 12 foot seas with my 3rd reef in, this happened:

IMG_5322.jpg

This was my mistake and a good lesson for me in seamanship. I am now firmly in the preventer + laboriously centering-the-boom-before-gybing camp.

I would encourage those who do not have reinforcement plates on their cast Kenyon boom ends to keep all this in context. When I brought my broken cast piece to my local marine metal-craft expert, he said, "Oh yes, I have worked on this fitting dozens of times." If you have this Kenyon boom this is likely to be a place where your boat will break and the very rationale for reinforcing plates to begin with.

This is a separate from whether you want your guests to grab a boom swinging quickly overhead (which does seem like a bad idea). However, such a situation would hopefully be minimized with a preventer + centering approach.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Glad that worked out for you.

I have come to regard my wheel brake with substantial mistrust. Locking the rudder at speed seems to yield for me the outcome you experienced.
Important to understand that a wheel brake is not even close to an autopilot. Just because the wheel doesn't turn has no bearing on whether the boat turns. If the sails are perfectly in balance and the wind doesn't change, in theory the boat would hold a course for a while. But when you leave the cockpit and move forward, you will induce weather helm as heel increases and CG moves forward. Thinkofleaning to sail without a rudder-you steer by sail trim and wright placement.
Wheel brake is mainly for when you are at the dock and don't want your wheel bearings worn. Lock the wheel so it can't move in the slip and save your steering system from wear