A-4 Stalls

cjmorrisjr

I have a 1971 29' Ericson sailboat with automic A4 motor. Runs great, sounds great; but after about an hour of running time it stalls. So far, it does restart but only after it sits for a while. Any thoughts?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Possible coil overheat

Buy an extra coil. The next time this happens quickly connect the spare coil and see if the engine starts right up.

Emerald

A coil overheating or having some other failure with run time is definitely possible. There are cheaper ways to test for spark...., but having a spare coil on hand is good regardless. Something else that could be going on is a clogged vent line on the fuel tank. So, if this happens again, loosen the gas tank fill cap, and see if it starts back up.

There are other things, but I'd put both of these high on the list of first checks :egrin:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Different syptoms

Different component failures will have different symptoms. If the engine stops dead, then look for an electrical fault. If the engine coughs and sputters and slowly shuts down, look for a fuel delivery problem.

Rob Salinas

Member II
+1 on the coil. I had the exact challenge you discribe.New coil, no stalls, 2 1/2 years now. Do you have the Moyer A-4 Bible?

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
Do you have the electric fuel pump?

Paul
E29 "Bear"

The reason I asked this is because there is an electrical connection from the pump to a sensor on the engine, and when the sensor is bad or the connection corroded you get the kind of stalling you describe. This cost me a $100 visit from the mechanic to find out, but I'll pass it on for free. I tried the coil replacement first, but that didn't do it. So try this if the coil doesn't work.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Rob Salinas

Member II
Oil pressure safety switch is also a possabilty. An inexpensive inline fuel pressure gauge will let you know if there are problems along the fuel route.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Opss

Paul and Rob are correct in that it could also be the OPSS. If you do have an electronic fuel pump make up a short jumper wire that will allow you to bypass the switch. The next time it "stalls" connect the jumper wire and see if it will start. If it does then you know it's the switch or the wires.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Mine does the same thing. I did a 2 hour harbor cruise last night with 4 of us on the boat. The engine runs strong after a short warm up period. At first I thought it was because of too much exhaust back pressure because the exhaust port ends up submerged. The PO put a large clam shell over the exhaust hole that I haven't gotten around to removing. After an hour or so of motoring at the same rpm the engine starts to feel weaker and hesitates when I throttle up. If I throttle back to a high idle the engine sputters and dies.

Rob Salinas

Member II
Gregory, is this new or happened before? To CJ also, are you guys running EI or points, and as Paul asked Elec or mech fuel pump? If the clamshell on the stern was installed by PO possibly years ago, why now giving problems? Restricted exhaust can make it run crappy from the get go, not after an hour or two of running good. The clapper might save you from a flooded engine running back from Chanel Islands or Catalina in big following seas, although some think the noise of it spanking the stern on long motor runs annoying.

Last edited:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Unfortunately this has happened before. I picked this boat up in September and I think the previous owners were trying to get caught up on maintenance from their neglectful prior owner. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat.:p:. Actually it's not a clapper, it's a clam shell over the exhaust port, like you would see top sides on a fuel or water tank vent. It spews water and exhaust from all sides but I still think it restricts the exhaust.

I'm running points and have an electric fuel pump. I had a problem with the oil pressure safety switch a while back but in that case the engine wouldn't start at all so these symptoms are different. I did a tune up last month (oil change, points, condenser and plugs) and the engine runs much better than it did but the stalling thing still happens. I should say I don't use the engine a lot unless I'm doing an evening harbor cruise which is about once a month.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
These are classic failing coil symptoms. So classic that I would not bother doing anything else until you replace that coil.

I strongly recommend buying one from moyermarine.com (and joining the forum there, if you haven't already). As it turns out the internal resistance of a coil makes a huge difference in the health of the Atomic Four and if you get one from NAPA or other sources, you might also need to add an external resistor. Moyer's coils are exactly the right internal resistance right out of the box.

His website, and the parts support he offers, are extraordinary. With his assistance, the A4 is a fantastic, understandable, reliable, maintainable machine.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Yes Rob, I'm here in Marina del Rey. It's sort of a funny story. Patriot was listed on sailboatlistings.com for $6,500. I bought it from the power boater who purchased it and and promptly ran it into a pilon coming into his slip. He had it a total of 6 weeks before I bought it for about half of what he paid for it. I guess he decided he didn't like sailing.

Rob Salinas

Member II
We had a E-27 with a faded blue cove stripe that came and went kind of quick over here at Al Larsons. Was just wondering it is the same.

cjmorrisjr

I do have the electronic fuel pump. The A-4 runs strong and then just stops. It doesn't gradually slow to a stop. I will purchase a coil and prepare a jumper.

cjmorrisjr

A coil overheating or having some other failure with run time is definitely possible. There are cheaper ways to test for spark...., but having a spare coil on hand is good regardless. Something else that could be going on is a clogged vent line on the fuel tank. So, if this happens again, loosen the gas tank fill cap, and see if it starts back up.

There are other things, but I'd put both of these high on the list of first checks :egrin:

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

cjmorrisjr

The reason I asked this is because there is an electrical connection from the pump to a sensor on the engine, and when the sensor is bad or the connection corroded you get the kind of stalling you describe. This cost me a $100 visit from the mechanic to find out, but I'll pass it on for free. I tried the coil replacement first, but that didn't do it. So try this if the coil doesn't work.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Thanks, Paul. I will check the connection.