'87 Ericson 35-3 - SOLD

Ben_vt

Located in Shelburne VT - updated at request of OP: boat now being listed with a broker. (May 5)IMG_7892.jpgIMG_7004.jpgIMG_7716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Ben,

You have a very desirable model,, so I suggest posting a full inventory and photos here.

Our members are widely separated by geography and many are willing to truck a good boat a long way. Full information will get word of mouth going for you and expand your reach.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Cardinal Points was the first Ericson I set foot on and Ben helped me navigate purchasing Aylwin. He takes good care of his boat and has put some nice work into it in the past few years. I’m a rotten liar. Ask me anything.

Ben_vt

Looks like a nice one. If it was in the Great Lakes I'd have to take a look see.
Dave, I'm a biased party so don't listen to anything I say:) I was down at the yard yesterday just doing a bit of topside buffing and wandered over to see if Filkee was doing the same on Alwyn. He wasn't there but I met a nice family on the J29 next to Alwyn. They were busy prepping her for a trip over the Lake Ontario via the canals.

The Cardinal actually came from north shore of Long Island. I brought her up in 2014 through Hell Gate the long way around Manhattan up the Hudson to Lake Champlain. It was a hell of an adventure. The Champlain Canal is transited in a day and that will put one at the east end of Erie Canal. The canals are free to use this year so getting it there might cost you the price of .6 gallons per hour of diesel. I have another boat that is now lying outside of NYC and I'm very much looking forward to transiting this one home again later next month. Navigating the world by boat is all I really care to do. Cheers, ~Ben

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Interesting Ben. So your biased and Fikee's a rotten liar, hmmm...Mast have to come down ? That's a long way and length of every lake except Superior. You have any more pics and or specs/info ?

Ben_vt

Interesting Ben. So your biased and Fikee's a rotten liar, hmmm...Mast have to come down ? That's a long way and length of every lake except Superior. You have any more pics and or specs/info ? Erik, aka Filkee is probably the straightest arrow there is. As to my own bias, that's inescapable....
Ha, ha,. Filkee isn't a liar, I think that's his sarcasm coming through - he's as honest as they come. But I'm the guy selling the boat, and my bias is inescapable I guess.

Here's some more details... Here's what I've done and what I know:

New custom dodger, bimini, and connector in 2019.
The bimini is set up for 2 Renogy flexible solar panel - sewn in flaps with snaps on the panels. These are 175W panels with EPever MPPT controller.
Diesel tank removed and renewed in 2020.
New Rudder - OEM Foss Foam in 2016.
New Dripless shaftseal in 2016.
New holding Tank with hoses ~2018
Rebuilt Raritan Head
New hatch and portlight lenses.

The Universal M25XP gets plenty of preventative maintenance. When I bought that boat, I went through the engine cooling system at length and replaced anything that looked suspect because of the journey up the Hudson that I was facing. This included replacing the Oberdorfer salt water pump (kept the orig. as a spare, cleaned the heat exchanger and refreshed hoses.. I also disconnected the ammeter and renewed the wire terminal ends. The engine hours are right around 900 hrs and runs like a champ.

The gelcoat is original and in pretty good shape minus a few scrapes, etc. I'm not embarrassed to bring her to the dock.

Raymarine ST 60 instruments Wind /Speed /Depth.
Raymarine a65 MFD
There's a wheel pilot that I removed because it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. The boat sails itself pretty well if you balance the sail trim.

Sail Inventory - UK Main (Full Batten) and 130% Genoa - maintained by local loft with recent service and cleaning. (They are still there waiting for me to pick up after winter service.

I installed a lazy jack system of my own devising that allows me to retract the system when not in use. No chafe or problems raising the sail.

Dropping the rig will cost you about $300 at yard where she's kept.

The pic under sail was taken by Filkee last fall. We got both got hit that day with a little Autumn blow with gusts closing in on 40knots. I single handed her home with out a hiccup. I guess it's little events like that, that create bias towards a boat; when you push your limits and they bring you home safely. Here's a little clip of that sail home:
- Let's hope Christian doesn't see this. My videography is terrible:)

IMG_5584.jpgIMG_7694 (1).jpg

Ben_vt

Dave, the E35-3 was at times a little small with my family of 5. Often times, my kids wanted to bring friends out for weekends.

Ben_vt

Yes, you understand correctly. I'm motivated and I'm not just sticking my toes in the water. I've always loved Ericsons and I'd love for this to go to someone who has brand affinity, but I have an appointment to list it by the end of the week unless someone here decides to seize the day.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Wow. Looks like a great boat. Your next boat has got to be pretty good to let that one go. Best of luck with the sale.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I have an E35-3.....highly recommended, the perfect size, not too large, not too small. I have no idea without a surveyor, what else is necessary to bring it up to par. Great price.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I sure would love to "upgrade" and this model is definitely on my shortlist. Unfortunately timing is everything and time is not now for me but it looks like someone will get a great boat at a great price.