6' 4" Headroom

Dan Hayes

Member III
A friend of mine is considering late model E38's, and one of his prime considerations is headroom - he's 6'4'' tall. In an ad on YachtWorld, I saw a late model E32 listed that claimed to have 6'4" headroom... Do you think that was just "broker talk", or does that model have more headroom than the earlier models? Are there any other models that work for big guys?

Mindscape

Member III
32-3

I don't believe the head room in my 32 is 6'4". The original bochure says 6'3" and I think that's streching it a bit. I'm 6' and have no issues, but I think 6'4 would be an issue, my guess is a 6'2" person would be ok, but just barely. The other thing to check is the practical length of the bunks - the only way to know how useable they are is to lay down in them (IMHO). I'm pretty sure the newer 32-200 has the same head room. I have no idea on the 38.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Headroom...

I'd believe the 38's claim of over 6' as long as you are talking about the salon along the center line and into the galley, but 6'4" would still have to duck a lot.
You might want to check a late model Beneteau or Juneau (sp?) or something-- I know their 40+ feet craft have massive headroom for not a rediculous amount of money. I think it would be a good comparison to walk around in one, before buying something that you might feel cramped in. My inlaws just purchased a Ben 423 and I swear that Shaq and Yao Ming could have a line-dancing party in the main salon.
Just thinking out loud,
Chris

clayton

Member III
I'm 6' 1" and find that I just clear the vinyl headliner on our 32-200 on centerline. When heeled 15 degrees or so, headroom gets better:egrin: . On my friend's 38-200, there is 2" or so between my head and the headliner on center, so 6' 4" might be close. Broker speak is amusing. "Spacious aft cabin" means my wife has to club me in the head to crawl out to pee at 3 a.m. Who was it that stated, "If you want to stand up, go up on deck." ?
Clayton

corkhead

Julian Ashton
headroom

My E35-III 87' is said to have 6'2". I am 6'2" and as others have said centerline maybe, it's close. Hey but if you stand under the hatch it is about 6'4". My decision was also very dependant on the length of 1/4 berth and v berth. It's pretty good, at 6'4" it would be tight in my opinion.