5432 Universal 1983

Baslin

Member III
Yes it sure can... Are you changing your existing thermostat? I have heard that the factory installed a 160 Degree thermostat but the engine is designed to run at approx 190.....My 1983 5432 Runs right around 90 degrees but I am not sure if the thermostat I have is factory or not.

Last edited:

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Can the thermostat housing be removed without pulling the front cover or cylinder head?
I might have not been clear. I am talking about the thermostat housing that is bolted to the front of the cylinder head with 6 bolts. It is retangular in shape. It is the housing that the thermostat bolts to.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Can you post a picture? I don’t see the part you are describing on my engine. Perhaps different vintage 5432s are not the same.
Mike Jacker

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It will be hard and might be impossible to get the thermostat housing plate off with the head still on the engine. The bottom middle attachment is possibly a stud (it is on mine) and there may not be enough clearance to get the nut out of the way unless you cut the stud down. The top middle hex screw may not clear the water pump housing in front if the plate. It'll certainly be a tedious job because of the difficulty of getting a wrench in there, but still easier and cheaper than pulling the head. When I did my work in 2016, I was pulling the head anyway so I didn't try to get the plate off first. The hose nipple in the thermostat housing can be unscrewed and removed for more access from the top, I think.

20160511_160832-small.jpg

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Gary,
I think that Craig and Ellen have clearly described what you are facing. In my manuals and parts lists, that part is the "water flange." I see 3 bolts and one stud with a nut attaching it to the head, and two bolts from above attaching it to the thermostat cover. I've never tried it, but if you need to remove it you might as well attempt it the easy way first. Good luck.
Out of curiosity, why are you removing it? Cracked? If so, do you know why?
Mike Jacker

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Just thinking ahead if a leak ever develops. I saw a little wetness when I removed the alternator adjusting bracket from the upper right stud. I agree that it would be a nasty job.

Attachments

• 53F09EF5-4499-4E9D-A273-7BD5B072A83A.jpg
    53F09EF5-4499-4E9D-A273-7BD5B072A83A.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 58