48VDC Anchor Windlass

gadangit

Member III
I haven't seen a 48VDC anchor windlass offered by any manufacturer, does anyone know of one? Most offer a 24VDC windlass.

My second question: seeing how this is a relatively infrequently and intermittently used system, can I violate all the rules and pick off 24VDC off my 48VDC plant? Can I mitigate any extra isolated battery degradation by switching between what batteries in the string are on windlass duty, say every 6 months.

I can reduce a lot of extra pieces and parts if I can utilize my 48VDC plant somehow.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Chris and Lisa,

You could get a 48 volt DC to 24 volt DC converter. That way you would be pulling from the entire bank. I think your batteries would get out of balance pretty quickly if you try to use just a couple of batteries at a time.

Probably pricey for one that will supply high amps.

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
Hi Chris and Lisa,

You could get a 48 volt DC to 24 volt DC converter. That way you would be pulling from the entire bank. I think your batteries would get out of balance pretty quickly if you try to use just a couple of batteries at a time.

Hi Mark-
I did some poking around and can't find a 48VDC to 24VDC converter that can handle say 50A of full windlass load. You know of any? That would be the perfect solution for sure.

Chris