38-200 two strange hooks at bow

pablo

Member I
My 38-200 has a bow fitting on the stem near the anchor roller that includes two hooks that have open bottoms similar to a reef hooks. Does anyone know what there purpose is?

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Sounds like tack attachment points for a hanked-on jib. Are they aft of the forestay?

My 38-200 has a bow fitting on the stem near the anchor roller that includes two hooks that have open bottoms similar to a reef hooks. Does anyone know what there purpose is?

Last edited:

pablo

Member I
Sounds like tack attachment points for a hanked-on jib. Are they aft of the forestay?

Thanks. I had boats with hanked on jibs but never attached the tack on a open hook. I'm not sure......but thanks for your help. Good sailing to you!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Thanks for asking this question. I've been stumped as to the use of those hooks on our 32-200 also.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, before foils, there used to be reefing jibs. They worked very well and made it easy to reduce headsail size quickly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Often the owner would add a shock cord loop, seized just above that point, which could be stretched down and around the hook once the tack grommet was in place. That way it would stay hooked while being hoisted or after a drop.

Loren

pablo

Member I
Thanks everyone. Interesting responses. Guess it could be for the jib tack ....only seems like it would be better secured to an shackle. Guess I will go with that theory for now.
Not that I really need to know but, I was really curious what I could use the hooks for. Thanks again.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
They are for a jib with reef points, I had pig tail or corkscrew hooks on my E29, removed them and went with a snap shackle.

pablo

Member I
Thanks. My first thought was that it was for the jib tack....only the wide open bottom of the hook seemed a ridiculous design. It would mean one extra step at the bow as the jib is being raised to hold/keep tack on the the hook without it falling off.......which could be bad in foul weather.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a photo of a jib with reefing points. The reef tack went over the hook. The reefing points on the sail were grommets to accept a light line, so the skirt of the reefed genoa could be bound up neatly. There were one or more new clews on the leech, to which a new sheet could be attached.

Roller reefing is more convenient, but hanked sails were versatile, too. But I don't miss wet sail bags down below, or wrestling them through hatches.

attachment.php

Attachments

• jib reef points.JPG
    jib reef points.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

pablo

Member I
Thanks for your insights.

I've been sailing back from the 50's and have been on and owned numerous boats with hank on jibs. Still this hook arrangement doesn't make sense to me if it's meant for reefing because there are 2 hooks........and I doubt two reefed sails would be flown at once.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for your insights.

I've been sailing back from the 50's and have been on and owned numerous boats with hank on jibs. Still this hook arrangement doesn't make sense to me if it's meant for reefing because there are 2 hooks........and I doubt two reefed sails would be flown at once.

IMO: Not really mean't for reefing a hank-on jib, Although it would do the job just fine.
Some other brands have "curly" hooks and some have straight down hooks.
Remember, to reiterate again, the other needed part of the scheme is the shock cord loop seized just above the hook, that is stretched down over the hook to hold the tack of the jib in place.

Main purpose was for sails hoisted on a "Head Foil Two" double groove jib sail setup. Matter of face our boat came with one. Not wanting to deal with a semi-uncontroled genoa all over the deck (and probably over the side, given our total cruising crew of two) we changed it out for a new Harken RF system in '95, not long after buying our boat.

The prior owner had contracted this boat out to a sailing club. He did not race it, AFAIK, even though he obtained USSA sailing numbers.

Boats rigged like ours and the 80's Ericsons have enough "spare" halyards to raise a different size jib before lowering the one already up.
This sort of assumes that you have a foredeck person to connect the tack and start the jib luff tape into the feeder and then into the slot.... no problem with a racing crew.
:)

Loren

ps: our prior 26' boat was all hank-on, and even came with a 110% jib with a slab reef in it that would be used similar to what Christian described. I actually tried a couple of times in heavy air. Way too much hassle to transfer the sheets or re-lead new sheets on a rolling deck.
Of course that was not really the fault of the boat!
:rolleyes:

Last edited: