38-200 bow anchor furling plate question

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
G'day All,

Can someone forward me information, words or pics to describe the purpose of the two hooks, welded to anchor/headstay furler plate assembly on bow ?:confused: Of Merrimist, my 1986 38-200.
Two chromed hooks that are integral welded to the plate a few inches aft of the roller furler fitting on the same steel plate.
If for running rigging such as a storm sail or other reason, I am not aware, I am sure there are numerous sailors out there who may like to share. :)

Hammy & Merrimist in sunny Bermuda.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
G'day All,

Can someone forward me information, words or pics to describe the purpose of the two hooks, welded to anchor/headstay furler plate assembly on bow ?:confused: Of Merrimist, my 1986 38-200.
Two chromed hooks that are integral welded to the plate a few inches aft of the roller furler fitting on the same steel plate.
If for running rigging such as a storm sail or other reason, I am not aware, I am sure there are numerous sailors out there who may like to share. :)

Hammy & Merrimist in sunny Bermuda.

I am told they are for the luff/tack cringle of hanked-on sails.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Those SS hooks are there for the tack of a head sail. It might be hanked on, or more commonly since the 80's, hoisted in a molded foil over the headstay.
More efficient and less weight and windage aloft, for more potential speed, especially to weather.

Most of us with larger (i.e. over 28 feet or so) boats much prefer the convenience of a furler. While I might like those couple of lost nano-knots back, there was never any question of either of us lugging a four-foot-long sail bag up to the foredeck every time we want to go sailing. Our boat came with a "Headfoil" from the prior owner, and we immediately replaced it with a Harken furler.

Everything's a compromise, as the saying goes.
:)